Threads in this topic are removed from the site 90 days after the thread was started. Our SN area is not a substitute for expert advice. Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

the wright stuff this morning should we try to cure autism by treating children like dogs? is todays topic

(9 Posts)
TimidLivid Tue 05-Nov-13 09:19:21

God only knows what shit people will come out with I take it he means aba. He has no clue

TimidLivid Tue 05-Nov-13 09:41:57

Gah im going ot have to watch it online once its up as asd ds just stuck a Thomas dvd on and refusing to watch it elsewhere, so cant risk a meltdown

tabulahrasa Tue 05-Nov-13 10:00:38

I'm not watching...but, I've owned (and do own) dogs, I have children - I've always said it's fairly similar.

Well, dogs are easier to train to be fair, but the general principle is the same. Promoting positive behaviour and positive reinforcement for desirable behaviours...it's what they do in schools and at dog training classes too.

I know nothing about ABA other than what I've googled, but mainstream education is based on the same behaviour research as modern dog training anyway. (people like Skinner) Isn't ABA as well?

Is it a bad thing that different people are using the same theories to base stuff on?

KissesBreakingWave Tue 05-Nov-13 10:30:55

Yeah, I treat my dogs like children. Lure and reward, and don't take misbehaviour personally.

ShadeofViolet Tue 05-Nov-13 11:09:50

To be fair (and I am not MW biggest fan) I think it was done quite well. No frothy 'Autism doesnt exist' blah blah.

He was quite quick to point out the 'treat Autistic children like dogs' was a 'journalist' thing, quite ignoring the fact that he was using it, and he is a journalist.

I though the lady from AAA came across very well.

TimidLivid Tue 05-Nov-13 11:24:20

I'm about to watch it on the one hour channel five does look like it will be a proper discussion

TimidLivid Tue 05-Nov-13 11:35:47

It seems to be showing how effective aba is

youarewinning Wed 06-Nov-13 19:33:49

I hate to say it but I have likened raising my DS (9) suspected ASD/AS to having a dog!

I watched a programme on BBC4 last night on ABA - I found it quite enlightening. Some things I agreed with, some I didn't but I agree the principle or rewarding desired behaviours is widely used - with dogs, children and children with SN. I've also heard many people refer to raising nosy being like raising dogs - eg they are happy of fed and excerised.

I guess the real issue is how they liken the 2 - whether just like a metaphor or whether it's done in a negative way as if it's a bad thing.

Reecieroo Wed 06-Nov-13 20:04:15

I watched it too youarewinning I found it quite upsetting although I saw the results of the little boy eating etc very good programme though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now