Threads in this topic are removed from the site 90 days after the thread was started. Our SN area is not a substitute for expert advice. Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

What do I do, I suspect my 10yr old daughter is on the ASD spectrum

(9 Posts)
PicturesOfParadise Sun 03-Nov-13 19:54:16

I already have a son with low functioning autism, who was diagnosed when he was 2 yrs old.
I have had concerns about my daughter for some time but have always kidded myself that she is just a bit quirky. It has now become an issue in school, her teacher is confident she can manage her but I am really worried about what happens when she goes to Secondary school.
What do I do, who do I speak to, we never had this with ds he was so severe that he was on the diagnostic pathway soon after his second birthday.
I am gutted, please don't flame me but I have always thought of dd as my normal child and to finally address the fact that she as well as ds has some difficulties is so upsetting.

PolterGoose Sun 03-Nov-13 20:38:10

Hello Pictures flowers

No one will flame you here smile my ds is 10 now and was dx with Aspergers (and other stuff) at 6. He's definitely quirky grin

Make a doctors appointment and go see the GP alone without dd to discuss your concerns. In the meantime read stuff (Tony Attwood has written a good book on girls and Aspergers) make notes and keep a diary. Get school to record their concerns too. Take all your notes to the GP and give her/him a copy. The diagnostic pathway varies, we were referred direct to a developmental paed who referred on to SALT and OT for further assessments, in some areas it will be referral to CAMHS and other areas have child development centres or similar.

Are there any particular areas dd or you are struggling with that anyone can help with?

youarewinning Sun 03-Nov-13 21:27:39

Hi pictures My DS is 9 and he's also always been 'quirky' but at 7/8 years old his quirks became more obvious and he struggled more. I spoke to school but didn't get far Tao went to GP on my own. Don't feel that the GO actually did much good as she referred to community peads who referred back to GP suggesting Camhs. Camhs referred back suggesting ed psych which school had already ruled out (and continue to do so but his lead cons has suggested he sees one!!!! I rang and then emailed Camhs myself outlining DS difficulties and what has been said throughout his education (poor social communication and poor working memory highlighted in DST). We saw Camhs in August and he's been referred for ASD assessment.

Sorry for the waffle and info all about my situation but just wanted to highlight that it may be a struggle but the correct support is out there.

It's great the school are on hoard - does she have an Iep or is she on school action or anything you have logged with school you can take to the GP. I found keeping a diary of things he's done and/ or said invaluable as I had examples. Also take your DD with you when you meet the professionals - the clinical psych met with me alone and then DS came in and she could see the behaviours I'd been explaining and had emailed her with.

I also agree with polter anything you or Dd are struggling with post here. I'm fairly new to these boards but I have learnt so much and noticed so many things in DS I didn't realise before - eg reactions to things and possible reasons for the reactions. Everyone here is fantastic and understanding IMO and I can honestly say it's been my lifeline recently.

StrawberryGashes Sun 03-Nov-13 21:35:18

Go to go and ask for a referal to a paediatrician who may then refer you to CAMHS (child and adolescent mental health services) or a local autistic diagnostic service.

StrawberryGashes Sun 03-Nov-13 21:37:40

That should say 'GP'. An educational psychologist can't diagnose but can put in place support for transition to high school. You don't need a diagnosis for EP intervention.

PicturesOfParadise Sun 03-Nov-13 22:11:08

thank you all for the replies, her main difficulties are her unfailing attitude that she is right all the time. I think she is a bit like a blinkered horse sometimes, she cannot see how anyone else's opinion could be valid.
She flaps and makes a funny look with her face when anything excites her.
Her problems are mainly social / social communication. She excels at school although has had some difficulties this year with friendship groups.
I have just ordered a couple of books online, although I know a huge amount about severe autism I haven't got a clue how to help my darling girl.

StrawberryGashes Mon 04-Nov-13 05:21:41

Autism can differ quite a bit between boys and girls too, look specifically at asd's in females.

youarewinning Mon 04-Nov-13 17:41:19

The always being right and questioning why things are done a certain way because because DS way/ idea of how it should be done are far better and correct!

He also pulls funny faces - he tends to jump up and down flapping when excited.

CrabbySmallerBottom Tue 05-Nov-13 23:29:01

I second the recommendation for Tony Attwood's Asperger's book. He talks a lot about how it presents in girls, which can be really quite different to how it presents in boys. It was reading that which finally made me get DD assessed after years of to-ing and fro-ing. I went to my GP with a list of concerns and told them I wanted a referral to a paediatrician. I then saw a developmental paed (who was brilliant, luckily), and then a SALT and a clinical psychologist. I asked for the referral in April, we saw the paed end of May (who provisionally diagnosed AS), the SALT in Aug and the clin psych in Oct who confirmed the diagnosis. It may have been simpler for me as DD (10) is home educated so there was no passing the buck between school and nhs.

Good luck. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now