Threads in this topic are removed from the site 90 days after the thread was started. Our SN area is not a substitute for expert advice. Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Another child being used as playtime monitor - AIBU?

(6 Posts)
ShadeofViolet Fri 01-Nov-13 20:59:12

I am not particuarly happy after something I saw at school today and I wanted some opinions.

DS is in year 2 and has ASD. Last year his TA went out at playtimes (morning and afternoons), this year she doesnt.

I was volunteering in another class and at playtime was doing some gluing and gazing out of the window. I saw another boy in DS's class trying to get DS off some playground equipment which they are not allowed to go on when its wet. The boy was pleading with DS to come off because they were not allowed on it, but DS determined as ever, and with a speech delay wasn't listening/ ouldn't understand.

I spoke to his afternoon TA at pick-up time about what I had seen and she said that this boy and another girl help monitor DS in the playground and loom after him. When I said that I didn't think it was fair that this boy had to try and get DS off equipment he isn't allowed on she didn't seem to see what the problem was and shrugged that 'Its not a big issue'.

I think it is an issue. for 1) I don't think its another pupils responsibility and 2) I dont want DS to be resented as something that effects peoples playtimes.

Am I being unreasonable. We have a review meeting on Tuesday and I want to bring it up.

happy2help Sat 02-Nov-13 10:31:56

I agree with you, OP. YADNBU.

It's not fair on any of the children involved on so many levels- they're all getting short changed except maybe the TA who gets to have her break!

The children are in Y2 - they should not be feeling responsible for another child - it's too much pressure.
They will resent it, as you've said. Not only the two helpers, but also your son might resent two children telling him what/what not to do.
They should be running around in a carefree fashion burning off energy!
Presumably they are not allowed on that equipment because it's slippy when wet?
If that's the case, an adult should be looking out for your DS so that he's not in danger, he can't be expected to take orders from children of his own age in the way that he would an adult.

My daughter's in Y1 and they had a buddy system in place when the reception children started in September. It's a mixed aged class so they were all together all day. I spoke to the teacher because my DD's partner as literally following her around every play and lunchtime and wouldn't leave her side, so my DD didn't get a break just to play with her friends. I spoke to the teacher and they sorted it out and totally understood.

I'm only telling you tat to put in perspective.

Maybe have a word with the parents of the children involved and get them on board?

It's not the TAs place to say that really, I'd definitely bring it up at the review.

Bluebirdonmyshoulder Sat 02-Nov-13 11:06:00

That's not on at all and smacks of the TA washing her hands of your DS at break times.

I'd bring it up immediately.

PolterGoose Sat 02-Nov-13 11:54:44

I would complain about this, completely inappropriate and if ds needs support it should be done properly. Not acceptable at all for other children to have that responsibility. How much TA support does he get and does he have a statement? Does he have IEP objectives for playtimes?

ouryve Sat 02-Nov-13 12:28:37

Definitely complain. Primary children having buddying or monitoring roles is fine, but they shouldn't be having to enforce, too. If the play equipment is dangerous when wet and your DS can't understand the implications of this, then he needs an adult close by and, even if they're not constantly breathing down his neck, actively involved with ensuring his safety - and teaching him to understand why, so he doesn't put himself in danger through the winter, as presumably, it's going to be wet almost constantly between now and the Spring.

It's not going to look very good for them if he does have an accident and it transpires that it was down to a child to keep him safe.

troutsprout Sat 02-Nov-13 12:48:48

Yanbu

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now