Threads in this topic are removed from the site 90 days after the thread was started. Our SN area is not a substitute for expert advice. Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

How do I stop DD1 AS & DH (I suspect very strongly) AS from shouting at each other all the time?

(5 Posts)
1leggedwobbler Wed 30-Oct-13 21:00:20

The title says it all. DD1 & DH constantly lock horns all the time. DD1 (age 7) is AS, DH has never been diagnosed but he is exactly the same as DD1. I had hopes that they would understand each other but the opposite seems to be true sad

Poltergoose gave me some great book suggestions for parenting an AS child which I failed to book mark, sorry. If I could have them again I would be very grateful.

Our weekends are miserable at the moment and it is impacting on DD2, & me as well.

Help please!

TIA

PolterGoose Wed 30-Oct-13 22:37:53

Hello, I can't remember what books I recommended, but my favourites are

For parents, Tony Attwood on Aspergers, The Out of Sync Child and Too Loud Too Bright Too Fast Too Tight for sensory stuff, and The Explosive Child for anger and anxiety and general behaviour 'management' stuff. Dawn Huebner's 'What to do when...' series of CBT workbooks are brilliant and tackle a range of issues, we've done temper and anxiety, doing negativity next.

For children, Kathy Hoopman has written All Cats have AS, Inside Aspergers Looking Out and some novels, Blue Bottle Mystery, Of Mice and Aliens and Lisa and the Lacemaker. The Asperger Children's Toolkit and The Survival Guide for Kids with Autism Spectrum Disorders (And Their Parents) are both very good.

TBH I had similar problems with ds and dp, ds is like a clone of dp a lot of the time, and they clash as a result, dp recognised he was getting anxious and went on ADs and a cbt group thing and has been a lot more chilled since.

claw2 Thu 31-Oct-13 08:55:22

I have to remind my 17 year old son sometimes, that he is arguing with a 9 year old and he is a big boy and practically an adult now!

1leggedwobbler Thu 31-Oct-13 23:27:46

Thank you (again!) Poltergoose. We have the Tony Atwood stuff but tbh it is very interesting but no use to me for parenting DD1. The Explosive Child is what I am going to order on amazon immediately.

It is so hard dealing with DD1 & DH together, I'm hoping the Explosive Child book can also help with Explosive husbands... ;)

PolterGoose Fri 01-Nov-13 08:07:16

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now