Threads in this topic are removed from the site 90 days after the thread was started. Our SN area is not a substitute for expert advice. Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Goose and Carrot, refuge, rally point and fountain of all cake.

(392 Posts)
zzzzz Fri 11-Oct-13 16:59:16

Hope no one has started up for the week. Gosh it's been a bit fatiguing on the main boards.

cake wine brew for some or all.

We have had a power cut all afternoon.....it is cold.

ouryve Thu 17-Oct-13 22:45:05

Even though he's asleep, I now have DS1, in my mind, spellchecking my pink girly bedding post. I've only had a glass and a bit. I thikn I need to log off and play Jewel Mania instead

Thikn? grin

Galena Thu 17-Oct-13 23:01:39

grin ouryve?

Galena Thu 17-Oct-13 23:02:31

doh. I'm sober too! That was supposed to be:

grin wine, ouryve?

gussiegrips Fri 18-Oct-13 11:21:49

Been lurking. You are a nice bunch.

Been back to A+E, all good with the wheezer - just needed more antibiotics and got home after a few hours of observation.

I've got a question - how many of you have problems with tiredness? That is, your own, not the kids!

And, how do you deal with it?

I'm either actually up doing inhalers, or, up watching him "just incase", or, up with Thoughts. I get about 5 hours a night, on a good night. Minimum I can cope with is 3 hours over 2 nights - after that I go a bit squiffy.

I just have helpful chats with myself "buck up, get on with it, no other bugger's going to do it" - which is fine for the short term.

But, "short term" isn't an option any longer. And, neither, it seems, is magicking an extra 6 hours into the day. damn those laws of Physics

Any top tips? apart from mainlining sugar and caffeine, which does, totally, work

zzzzz Fri 18-Oct-13 11:44:01

I found caffeine less helpful than food (though my physique is testament to what a crap plan that is!).

I had 5 very sleepless years, and suspect this is a large contributing factor to being very ill this summer. I just ran out of puff.

I also think it has impacted my memory and some of my cognitive function (I am extremely numerate and find it noticeable that I have lost mental math ability). I am much more careful now and would recommend losing some family time to catch up on sleep.

Don't get me wrong you CAN do it for years but you pay for it.

Of course all of that gets thrown to the wind regularly so I'm interested to see how others cope.

gussiegrips Fri 18-Oct-13 12:46:30

Oooh, yes, zzzzz (arf at the appropriate name) - mental actuity does drop. Actually, I'd not really noticed that, but, I do have difficulty with names and remembering Things To Do.

And, yep, I'm a good 3 stones overweight - and, I do NEED chocolate, between 2.30 and 5.30 particularly. ANd, I self-medicate with a couple of glasses of wine three or four nights a week.

Having said that, I have found the "maternal anxiety diet to be particularly effective, and I have dropped a stone and a half over the summer. Every cloud...

I KNOW I should eat better and exercise more - but, I don't make time to put me first. At the risk of sounding pathetic, there's too much to do, it's too hard to engineer help. And, I haven't been ready to admit that I need help.

but, you are right - it's not a good strategy for long term success.

Hope you are feeling better now.

ouryve Fri 18-Oct-13 12:58:02

Yes, my wine hit me harder than I bargained for, last night.blush

I'm such a lightweight grin

DH decided, yesterday, to work from home today. Despite DS1's anti pink protest, he managed to take him into school. (I told him he needed to be in school with DS2 for our deal to be valid) OT was seeing him, this morning, so I'm expecting a call, this afternoon. He was on form, before school, all clumsy tickles, hugs and raspberries and a lot of hanging upside down off the sofa.

hazeyjane Fri 18-Oct-13 12:58:09

We have 2 appalling sleepers dd1 who takes an age to go to sleep, had a nighttime cough for 2 years (which she was on montelukast for, but that gave her awful nightmares!) and is a sleepwalker. And then ds who with reflux, chest problems choking on his own drool and his inability to switch off (he used to sometimes be awake until 12.30am) is up a lot in the night, and wakes between 4 and 5 every day........yaaaaaawwwwwwwnnnnnnn.

I am lucky in that dh and I try to share the load, but I follow the knackered mother's diet of coffee and chocolate, I have disco naps at the weekend, and try to go to bed stupidly early at least once a week. I am crap at exercise, but because I can't drive I walk loads, which makes me feel better.

Ds had the best morning at preschool ever, he calmed down about 15 minutes after I left, and when I retuned I snuck into the kitchen and hid, meaning that he was without me for an hour --AN HOUR!!!! He was signing loads throughout the session, and even played a game with one of the other helpers there, he was amazing. Isn't it crap though that rather than feeling elated at this huge step for him, I feel panicky and worried because an advisory teacher was there observing him for her statement report, and I kept thinking - stop being so bloody brilliant mini hazey!! I spoke to her afterwards and I impressed on her that without the support of having a full time 1-1 he wouldn't be able to have been able to make so much progress.

ouryve Fri 18-Oct-13 13:18:08

You have it with that last sentence, Hazey - he's doing well because he is being given a lot of individual attention and support.

PolterGoose Fri 18-Oct-13 15:39:07

A whole hour hazey shock well done him and you, hopefully the advisory teacher will see that it isn't possible without the support.

youarewinning Fri 18-Oct-13 16:23:17

A HOUR grin Well done mini Hazey.

Well my sleeping boy has explained why he did it and how much he hates it! He wanted to prove he could go on the residential but apparently is not sleeping without a light again as all the strange shadows make him nervous. He even commented how his music stand looked wrong with his music book open on it - I mean who would even notice?!
I get the feeling he's been lying awake in the dark agitated and keeping quiet and just can't do it anymore - at least he tried. smile

autumnsmum Fri 18-Oct-13 16:40:28

Hazey and ouryve I went to a parents group at dd2 s ss today and they said how well she's doing and how it could be a springboard to mainstream I feel like both of you that she is doing well because of the support .However brilliant news mini hazey

PolterGoose Fri 18-Oct-13 17:11:26

autumn so pleased she's doing well grin

youare we had that, I used I have to remove toys, posters, pictures because of the bloody shadows. He currently has darkish blue walls with barely anything on them.

moosemama Fri 18-Oct-13 17:44:01

Youare, he sounds just like ds1. He has a major thing about night-time shadows too.

Galena Fri 18-Oct-13 17:45:46

An HOUR hazey?! WOW! grin Well done him! And we got a full statement even though DD proved me wrong when the Ed Psych came to observe!

Now... I guess I should see if there's a new G&C thread.

Galena Fri 18-Oct-13 18:02:02

New thread is here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now