Threads in this topic are removed from the site 90 days after the thread was started. Our SN area is not a substitute for expert advice. Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Goose and Carrot - Sept 20th

(314 Posts)
KeepOnKeepingOn1 Sat 21-Sep-13 15:14:46

Sorry - phone

Mum

smile

Thepoodoctor Sat 21-Sep-13 15:49:02

Frusso - maybe a good Physio? One sorted me out when I did my back carrying DD plus a plaster cast all round the place last summer.

Wish me luck please, am about to embark on the fresh hell that is DS and his weekend homework ...

FrussoHathor Sat 21-Sep-13 16:22:01

Good luck with the homework pooDoctor

PolterGoose Sat 21-Sep-13 17:14:16

Very good luck with homework, my ds absolutely point blank refuses to do it at weekends, it can only be done on school days and even that is wrong grin

SummerRain Sat 21-Sep-13 17:35:46

Thankfully our school doesn't give weekend homework so I won't have go deal with that delight for another few years. Good luck Dr.poo wine

Just went to the chipper and got piles of gloriously shit food, we all needed a treat blush

Thanks, Keeping. flowers

Going to take the boys to KFC tonight, treat for them at least. (Not my favourite, funnily enough.)

Ineedmorepatience Sat 21-Sep-13 18:34:31

frusso Does you Dd go to special school? If she does you might be able to get a course at school with any new staff members.

I have just done the course for staff members but to be honest alot of it was about health and saftey and we could have probably done the actual lifting training in about 15 minutes confused

Physio might be a better person to ask.

I always forget about the Goose and Carrot but thought I would pop in because I know you will all be proud of me....

I have sent Dd3 to PGL with the school for the weekend and I have completed the DLA form!!

For those that dont know I have been saying I will do it for about 2 yearsgrin

Galena Sat 21-Sep-13 18:40:28

Busy listing cross stitch charts on eBay - I'm bored bored bored!

I did manage to pick up a bargain though. There were 3 TVStitcher magazines produced a few years ago and then they stopped producing it. They have great designs for the charity cross stitching I do, and people often pay £10 for them on eBay. I picked one up for 85p including P&P! shock grin

Hope the homework has been done painlessly, poodr!

Galena Sat 21-Sep-13 18:48:23

Well done Ineedmore!

Oh, I have also discovered my new favourite takeaway... Peri Peri chicken... YUM! Hot, fresh, cheap, delicious! (Half chicken plus 2 sides for £4.99!)

PolterGoose Sat 21-Sep-13 19:06:13

Ellen just realised I missed your earlier post, so sorry about your mum, such tough decisions sad

My ds had a very similar teasing/bullying experience when some of the children would say "moshi monsters" or "the snowman" which mean nothing at all to anyone else but completely wound ds up, thankfully the teacher was straight on it when I told him, I was surprised to be taken so seriously, hope you get it stamped on quickly too.

Well done Ineed and Galena

FrussoHathor Sat 21-Sep-13 19:55:30

Well done ineed, mine feels like its taking 2 years.
Yes she is at ss, will ask at the social this week.

Trigglesx Sat 21-Sep-13 20:25:18

Galena Oh that PeriPeri Chicken sounds yummy!!!

I'm feeling a bit more human now, sorry about earlier. Laid it on line - decided being up front is the best way to handle things and it's sorted again.

Boys in bed, DGS here for the evening and reading comics, trying to avoid sleeping. grin Typical kid.

Hope everyone is well.

pannetone Sat 21-Sep-13 20:30:22

We had a good day at Chessington today - DH and I got in free as 'helpers' and DS and DD paid the 'disabled young adventurer' rate - which was the same as 'normal' young adventurer rate. It was the first time we had taken DS and DD to Chessington - and with the ride access pass it went well - we only had to queue a bit for the Zufari ride and that was because it has a 'pre show' before you do the ride.

Still no takers on vouchers for legoland/chessington/thorpe park/alton towers? I put a thread on special needs children. The vouchers have to be used by Mon 30th Sep. Because we got in as 'helpers' today I have 4x £30 off a ticket (adult or child) vouchers.

DoubleLifeIsALifeHalved Sat 21-Sep-13 23:55:05

Hello all, three pages already! Wow.

Had a rubbish day, in bed all day just being ill and missing my son yet feeling kind of irritated when he comes in and whines to be with me, cos it hurts me and I hate it all. Ffs.

And my ex h went AWOL just over three weeks ago, phones don't work, email no replies... He just failed to turn up one evening when he was supposed to see Ds, and specifically that evening as I had no carer to help so I really needed him. And since then Ds has been crying for him and I've been suffering as I don't have enough care so rely on h coming to see Ds... Bugger bugger bugger. I could cry, except am trying not to.

Thepoodoctor Sun 22-Sep-13 07:27:30

DoubleLife, so sorry things are so rough. thanks At least.

I suppose its a daft question to ask whether SS would provide more care, if you've been relying on your ex and can no longer do so? Hugs to your DS too.

Thank you for your vibes everyone: we did the bloody homework in under half an hour with minimal performance art! Really think school may be onto something with their current enthusiasm - I pointed out to DS the difference from last week and he said 'Thats a Growth Mindset'. Apparently Growth Mindset means believing you can change and work on your areas of difficulty, as opposed to having a fixed mindset where you believe your abilities are set and can't change. They've had assemblies on it and everything and are part of a research project apparently.

DS has refused to go in the garden for weeks because he's phobic of mushrooms - after this conversation I went out and was greeted by him halfway down the lawn shouting to me 'Look, Mummy! I have a Growth Mindset!'

Whatever works ... grin

PolterGoose Sun 22-Sep-13 08:42:18

Double so sorry you're having a rough time, your ex is clearly a prize arsehole, hope today is better for you flowers

poo grin at 'growth mindset'

stantonherzlinger Sun 22-Sep-13 09:08:24

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

zzzzz Sun 22-Sep-13 09:58:30

Morning all. Exhausted today. This has got to be the most ridiculous length of time to spend "getting better" angry

Galena Sun 22-Sep-13 10:13:50

Love 'Growth Mindset' - and if it's working for your DS, then that is fantastic!

double, it's hard if ExH isn't helping... Hope you can find some support, either from him or from SS.

zzzzz I guess if you work on the idea of taking as long to recover as you were ill for, then you won't feel so frustrated.

DD's croaky throat is now a snotty cold. She's in school for lunches this week, and by Friday last week was a bit teary due to tiredness. Hopefully she'll cope (She wants school dinner on Friday because it's chips!

PolterGoose Sun 22-Sep-13 10:18:59

zzzzz brew and cake

Galena [tissues]

FrussoHathor Sun 22-Sep-13 12:46:18

I have to brag and not very stealthily dd said her own name yesterday! Group teacher was ticking off the register, and dd looked at the teacher granted teacher was looking at someone else and said her name! grin but she did it.

PolterGoose Sun 22-Sep-13 12:49:50

Bragging is perfectly acceptable here Frusso well done dd grin

Galena Sun 22-Sep-13 13:17:30

Well done MiniFrusso! Keep it up!

I came on to brag too... DD reads well (doesn't walk well, but reads!) and she has just discovered Little Animal Ark books. I videoed her reading a page - a page she'd not read before... Now, bear in mind she's 4.5 and only been going to school for 3 weeks. ;) Here is the link

Trigglesx Sun 22-Sep-13 13:32:53

Galena Wow! Well done to your DD!! What a reader! smile DS1 is a brilliant reader (7yo, reading at 15yr+ according to school), but has some complicated issues related to it - some comprehension, cannot abide fantasy stories (although likes them on TV), and gets irritated at chapter books because they take too long. grin He loves history though, reads stuff and spouts back all the details - his current info monologues are the battle of Hastings and the history of Nintendo. Eclectic much? grin

moosemama Sun 22-Sep-13 13:45:50

Blimey Galena - your dd is amazing! Well done her. smile

My dd is also 4.5 and she is just getting her head around cvc words and the character names in the Biff/Chip/Kipper books - and she's streaks ahead of where he brothers were at that age.

Mind you, ds1 was then like Triggles' ds, in that he was off the reading test charts by y2 and devoured fact based books at a rate it was impossible to keep up with. I never forget the librarian's face when he completed the summer reading challenge in the first week! grin His favourite monologues were/are also the history of Nintendo and history stuff, plus lots of stuff to do with natural history (planets, volcanoes, insects etc). Then came the juniors and we had the history of gaming and gaming consoles, followed by his beloved Pokemon (endless scope there reading Pokedex for every series) and of course Star Wars. That was what we called his encyclopedic era! grin

Now he's 11 and seems to have given up reading. All he wants to do is be on screens 24/7. He has a kindle reader on his phone, so we're going to stick some books on that to try and get him started reading again.

Sorry I haven't read any further back. I have a kidney infection, which is really just a continuation from my horrible unhealthy week. Started out with me catching dd's virus, then had a migraine from Tuesday until Friday morning, my period decided to arrive 10 days early and then I came down with this. Got vile anti-b's which are making me feel worse than the infection and spent most of the weekend sleeping. Feel so blush and such a lightweight when I think of what zzzzz's been through and been so much stronger than me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now