Threads in this topic are removed from the site 90 days after the thread was started. Our SN area is not a substitute for expert advice. Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Friday the thirteenth at the Goose and Carrot

(334 Posts)
PolterGoose Fri 13-Sep-13 15:48:53

wine all round I think

youarewinning Sat 21-Sep-13 13:03:02

For all those studying - if it makes you feel any better I have a 3000 word ECA to send off on Tuesday (level 3 course) and haven't even typed the title yet grin I start my final course (level 2 in October and graduate next year) Everything is overwhelming atm and I'm being a terrible mum and let DS have a minecraft day as think we both need some downtime.

Hurrah Galena!

New thread: - www.mumsnet.com/Talk/special_needs_chat/1858512-Goose-and-Carrot-Sept-20th

Coffee shop open and even has entertainment.....

Galena Fri 20-Sep-13 11:28:39

PooDr that is so lovely! I love it when children are recognised for making progress in an area which, whilst many children find it easy, does not come easily to them. And I hope it was presented in a sensitive way, which didn't say 'Look how clever MiniDr is for not walloping someone' but rather 'How fantastic that MiniDr has made progress in an area of life he finds challenging'

Double , I hope things improve soon.

Star you are right, we should avoid making demands on children just because they might hurt themselves if we do - we should help them, in whichever way is most appropriate, to do the best they can.

I have been Very Productive today. I have...
-spoken to the TA who came to apologise profusely and said she didn't realise she was supposed to be supervising DD in from the playground
-packaged up wheelchair tyres to return as they were too small
-sourced wheelchair tyres the right size for half the price
-organised the courier to return the wrong ones
-packed some cross stitch charts I'm selling
-sorted an update letter/photos for the lovely couple who are pretty much funding DD's operation
-emailed the Lions club who are considering funding a trike for DD
-emailed the holiday cottage owner who asked me for a testimonial (although I haven't actually written the testimonial yet!)

Now I'm going to have a coffee and a bit of flapjack!

Thepoodoctor Fri 20-Sep-13 11:05:25

What's lovely is that the school have embraced 'Growth Mindset' which minus the management speak bollocks is all about challenging yourself and working on the things you find difficult - so DS award fitted right in with the theme. dS school rocks.

flowers for doublelife - I hope the pain improves soon. Take care.

Yes zzzzz fab post indeed. Even for my DD who is NT but has been through more in her little life than many adults, and just needs that bit extra from time to time. No apology required!

SummerRain Fri 20-Sep-13 10:37:35

Equality isn't everyone being treated the same, it's everyone being treated as an individual and rewarded or punished in a manner that reflects their own strengths and weaknesses. Well done to your son for maintaining control and well done to the head for honouring his achievement flowers

Double brew I'm sorry you're struggling atm. Take care of yourself x

Thepoodoctor Fri 20-Sep-13 09:02:41

Just off to see DS pick up a head teachers award - because he controlled himself in the playground when a younger boy hit him. Unwisely said boy timed it just as the Head was approaching smile

Half of me is really proud to be there for DS and the other half will be cringing from a sense of all the mummies and daddies of the well behaved thinking 'and why is that awful kid getting an award just for behaving in a slightly civilised manner' (as per numerous threads on the subject!)

Anyone else feel like this sometimes?!

Hi all. Don't apologise zzzzz, your post was fab.

Had a 'disagreement' with ds' school yesterday. It's not a big one but I'm cross. Then I remembered how tiny the issue was compared to many of those people on this board face, then got even more cross at the realisation that just because school aren't causing ds to self- harm doesn't mean I should give up on him learning to hold a pencil properly.

Since when should we reduce the expectations for our kids out of relief that they aren't being actively harmed?

DoubleLifeIsALifeHalved Fri 20-Sep-13 01:57:38

Good luck with everything all you lovely people. I'm in too much pain to post properly but wanted to let you know in still reading and thinking of you when I read the struggling / argh posts... flowers

SummerRain Thu 19-Sep-13 22:26:31

Very odd indeed. Quick response from them though, I'm impressed. Over here you could be without power for days before they get around to sending someone. The suppliers solution for the lopsided junction box on my front lawn was to put a warning sticker on it hmm

Galena Thu 19-Sep-13 22:12:12

He's just gone. Things seem fine. Odd.

Galena Thu 19-Sep-13 21:44:06

Nope, TV upstairs, seldom used and then dishwasher in kitchen, used daily.

We phoned the electricity supplier to see if they'd had any surges (on the advice of a MNetter's DH - I love MN!) and they've sent someone out free of charge to have a look and see whether we have a problem.

Hazey, you must be mad! Hope it all goes well tomorrow.

hazeyjane Thu 19-Sep-13 21:37:54

I am reeling a bit from your post, zzzzz, you really have touched a nerve!

I would come back with more, but am baking up a storm for the Jeans For Genes cake sale at dd's school tomorrow, have also made some denim bunting to put on the stall.

Last year was absolute chaos, so I am going to go to bed soon, in preparation for being mobbed by cake crazed children come 10 am!!

SummerRain Thu 19-Sep-13 21:31:29

Scary galena, are they on the same trip switch? You could flick it off overnight until you get an electrician round just to be on the safe side

Galena Thu 19-Sep-13 20:27:33

Panicking here... 2 appliances this evening have had white smoke and a burny smell coming from them. No idea what we have to do now.

On the positive side, I had a quick word with the head earlier about the TA not supervising DD up the steps, and she will have a word.

SummerRain Thu 19-Sep-13 20:26:59

You have plenty of time, I only started this week for my two <screams again>

Zzzzz, my brain has atrophied if my attempts at answering past paper questions is anything to go by hmm

Hopefully the new head isn't paying any heed to what the old head is saying if she has been gossiping.

zzzzz Thu 19-Sep-13 20:21:41

It may just be paranoia polt.

Ds2 has been positive about school ALL week.....that would be a first in 5 years, so I thnk I should be thanking my lucky stars.

I'm slightly envious of all you students. I miss using my brain that way. Then again I think it may be a bit atrophied by now. grin

PolterGoose Thu 19-Sep-13 20:14:06

Erm... not revising at all, exam on 16th, planning to start at weekend. Mine is my last exam too, and then only one module to go with has a research piece instead of exam.

zzzzz angry it's a breach of DPA, max £500,000 fine, you may want to remind old HT.

SummerRain Thu 19-Sep-13 20:03:15

Polter, the 7th and 11th. Both level 3 <screams>

On the plus side they're the last exams of my degree, my level 2 practical and level 3 project courses next year will finish off my degree if I can afford to do them but I'm not going to think about that right now

You revising as well atm?

zzzzz Thu 19-Sep-13 19:53:31

I think wine would help but I am too tired. The day started a little early IYKWIM. We are also in pre-11+ hell. I am so behind with paying bills and writing letters I am almost sinking and I think old HT has been gossiping about us to new HT which is making me both annoyed and stressed.

Not that I have anything to hide, but I wanted the new school to form their own opinions of my dc. sad

PolterGoose Thu 19-Sep-13 19:16:31

When's your exam Summer? I'm in denial.

SummerRain Thu 19-Sep-13 19:13:36

Zzzzz, that post made me feel a lot better on a stressy day so don't you dare apologise [stern]

Ds1 has been moody as hell today. I think he's tired, the sna took him down for OT work in school today which is great but it took it out of him I think. Added to my general exam stress and the fact that I wrenched my back yesterday it made for a long afternoon.

Galena Thu 19-Sep-13 18:53:56

If there are ever people you DON'T need to apologise to for that post, it's us! grin

Here, have some wine cake and thanks

zzzzz Thu 19-Sep-13 17:07:55

Oh dear Lord blush I'm sorry I got a bit carried away there! It just makes me so cross.

<shuffles off muttering>

ouryve Thu 19-Sep-13 16:07:34

Do excuse me for diving back in on the last page. It's huge and I'm addled with paint fumes. I've been trying to make this room look less squalid before new sofas arrive on the 30th, and it's a big job to do in the 3 hours a day i can manage (and I'm physically knackered from just that). We desperately need to replace the carpet, too (it stinks and has bits missing where we took the fireplace out), but that's not happening for a while.

DS1 hasn't been on such shining form at school, this week. We're back to refusals to work or eat and he's been ruffling his teacher's hair and been very rough about it. That's on top of rifling through people's pockets and drawers for coins to look at.

zzzzz flowers[applause]

PolterGoose Thu 19-Sep-13 15:44:15

Fantastic post zzzzz and I absolutely agree that tacit mother blaming is rife.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now