Threads in this topic are removed from the site 90 days after the thread was started. Our SN area is not a substitute for expert advice. Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

1st CAMHS appt tomorrow...

(9 Posts)
stuckonsmallrock Wed 11-Sep-13 22:36:31

So after months of appts with school SENCO (also DD's teacher last year), GP, Paed consultant at hospital etc we finally have our CAMHS appt tomorrow afternoon. I'm fairly certain my wonderful DD1 is HFA, I'm just wondering what to expect tomorrow at the appt. Being able to prepare DD would be helpful. Also I can't sleep & have to be up for work at 5am so this is distracting me slightly!

PolterGoose Thu 12-Sep-13 06:30:36

Hi, I've no experience of CAMHS but just want to say good luck flowers

stuckonsmallrock Thu 12-Sep-13 10:28:35

Thank you. The appt isnt until 2pm & I'm already nervous...

stuckonsmallrock Thu 12-Sep-13 15:48:23

We have a diagnosis - DD1 has "classic aspergers". I wasnt expecting a diagnosis so quickly, & even though I strongly suspected something was up it is still somehow a shock to be told officially sad

PolterGoose Thu 12-Sep-13 15:51:08

flowers

How does dd feel about it? How old is she?

Now you know it for sure you can tap into all the knowledge and some wonderful books and resources for children with Aspergers. If you want any recommendations let me know smile

stuckonsmallrock Thu 12-Sep-13 16:17:29

DD is just 7, she isnt too bothered, I'm not sure she really understands tbh. Yes please to book suggestions - I have been told Tony Atwood (sp) has written a good book but thats about all I know. A childrens book to help DD understand would also be great.

Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it. I'm sat here drinking very sweet tea & doing my best to act completely normal with the girls but inside I'm fairly wobbly about it all.

PolterGoose Thu 12-Sep-13 16:45:01

My ds was nearly 7 when he got his dx. He found All Cats Have Asperger Syndrome really helpful and a bit later Inside Aspergers Looking Out both by Kathy Hoopmann. She's also written some novels including one with a girl main character Lisa and the Lacemaker.

The Asperger Children's Toolkit is a good resource book as is The Survival Guide for Kids with ASDs

For specific issues I have found the Dawn Huebner 'What to do when...' books really helpful, there are ones on sleep, temper, worries, grumbling and more and they are little CBT programme workbooks you can do at home.

Tony Attwood has written a book on Aspergers and Girls and I really like Rudy Simone's Aspergirls

PolterGoose Thu 12-Sep-13 16:46:02

You'll stop wobbling soon brew and cake and maybe wine for later

stuckonsmallrock Thu 12-Sep-13 17:00:45

thanks so much for the book tips, I'll do some research on amazon later. I've just had a strong coffee & a donut & now feel a million times better! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now