Threads in this topic are removed from the site 90 days after the thread was started. Our SN area is not a substitute for expert advice. Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

I've been offered a 'mindful parenting' course

(17 Posts)

Has anyone been on one. I'm reluctant but considering they're only offering it to parents of ADHD kids (they are refusing to assess!) Then it might be slightly useful. Will it be?

BeeMom Mon 09-Sep-13 18:39:18

Might be a waste of time, might turn out to be quite helpful. I'd say attend, and try to keep an open mind... if nothing else, those who refuse to assess can't say that mum is resisting. hmmgrin

OK, so it might be just "jumping through hoops" but I don't think it'll hurt.

stillstanding29 Mon 09-Sep-13 19:29:47

Mindful parenting? Is it an alternative to mindless parenting? smile Maybe I should go.

Who's running it? I've done a Webster Stratton course that was run by our local Children's Learning Disability Team (or something like that). It was really helpful.
I'd keep trying to find out a bit more.

Yeah that's what I thought bee

Hahahaha still camhs are running it hmm

stillstanding29 Mon 09-Sep-13 20:11:45

If its camhs - I would be tempted to give it a go.

I'm going to........reluctantly. I don't do group things but I'll be making myself

WilsonFrickett Mon 09-Sep-13 20:28:54

It could be complete bobbins, but If nothing else you might meet some other parents in the same boat, and have access to HCPs for chats in the coffee breaks... Could be very helpful.

stillstanding29 Mon 09-Sep-13 20:41:54

I know what you mean, I went to the WS course under protest - it was DH who was really keen. But chatting to other parents was really useful. And it was 2 hours where I got to sit down.

Very true. Meeting others local to me would be good possibly

MyFabulousBoys Mon 09-Sep-13 21:16:22

I went on the PPP course. I really liked the free creche and tea and biscuits on tap.... Also, I realised I wasn't on my own, other parents were going through the same thing, we shared knowledge - mainly how to fight for your rights and get the support you need, and it reminded me every week to try a bit harder.

I also showed myself able to jump through CAMHS hoops!

I really enjoyed it and found it useful. And I was expecting to hate it.

Personally I found the book 123 magic more use for behaviour though!

They bypassed PPP for me! Mind you I'd been seeing the lady who ran it for early intervention for months.
I'll have to look at 123 magic thanks. You've just reminded me I started reading the explosive child on my kindle, need to finish it.

WilsonFrickett Mon 09-Sep-13 22:19:20

Only on mnsn would a sit down and a biscuit qualify a course as worthwhile grin

PolterGoose Mon 09-Sep-13 22:36:32

Wilson a sit down and a biscuit, or even better, cake, makes anything worthwhile grin

I know nothing about mindful parenting, but mindfulness as a concept is based in Buddhism and about living in the present, forgiveness and maintaining a calm state.

It's very trendy ATM,

autumnsmum Tue 10-Sep-13 08:40:04

I did a Webster Stratton course and tbh I found meeting other parents more useful than the course

WilsonFrickett Tue 10-Sep-13 10:55:52

Oooh, there's a cake emoticon Polter! grin

Yeah I have a feeling the meeting the parents will be more useful too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now