Threads in this topic are removed from the site 90 days after the thread was started. Our SN area is not a substitute for expert advice. Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Low muscle tone

(13 Posts)
Tilly1969 Sat 07-Sep-13 17:58:11

Hi, I'm concerned about my 6 year old son. Until last year his development was very normal but his speech has always been a problem. His speech therapist and P1 teacher referred him to a OT. Yesterday at the appointment I was told he he's low tone in his muscles. Most information I get online seems to be about infants who have delayed development or that this is a condition that is linked to other conditions. Neither seems relevant to us. I was wondering if anyone else has been in this situation and what my sons prognosis is?

Tambaboy Sun 08-Sep-13 14:07:31

DS (6 yo) has low muscle tone due to his hypermobilty. Is your DS going to have more sessions with the OT and have they recommended any exercises for him to do at home?

Tilly1969 Sun 08-Sep-13 16:52:27

Hi, thank you for replying. Yes she is going to see him in school and send us a report and exercises. She suggested swimming and some other activities. Feel a bit confused about it all. Do the exercises make a difference to your child? This is something I've never really heard of before. x

Tambaboy Sun 08-Sep-13 17:35:36

To be truthful we only got the exercises list last week so a bit too soon to tell!!! grin. I think swimming will be very good for my DS too, he's starting swimming lessons on Tuesday so I hope he enjoyes it.
Does your DS get very tired very quickly? I think the exercises will help with that.
I'm sorry I can't give you any useful information as I must admit it is all a bit new for me too. I hope someone comes along with a bit more experience about the subject.

Tilly1969 Sun 08-Sep-13 17:55:57

I know, all very new! When I look back he will tire when walking but I thought he was just being lazy. He has always been a messy eater, has had speech therapy since nursery and fidgets and doesn't focus in class so part of it makes sense. Hopefully the exercises will help both our boys. His teacher is the school SENCO so I'll speak to her tomorrow. I'll pass on any info I get. I'm sure he'll love the swimming lessons. Our OT also said judo, cycling and wrestling with a parent are all good. Anything resistive.

Tambaboy Sun 08-Sep-13 18:48:55

My DS is doing jiujitsu ( very similar to judo) and he loves it, it's helping with his coordination and confidence. OT recommended rock climbing for him as he's so flexible and has a natural hability for it.
Try caring cutlery for your DS, it has made a huge difference for my boy.
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Junior-Caring-Cutlery-Set-50-OFF-RRP-/190893901501

Trigglesx Sun 08-Sep-13 23:04:05

DS1 struggles with this as well, also due to hypermobility.

He is currently taking 1:1 swimming lessons (not a cheap option, sigh, but the only option for lessons for him), and I am slowly working on teaching him to play the piano and encouraging some touch typing. All were things the OT agreed would be beneficial to build up strength.

His hands/arms/shoulders are the most affected according to the OT, so she has recommended that I encourage him to do any activity that requires the pincher grip - picking up small items, things like that. He does get quite frustrated with cutlery, although they have the caring cutlery at his school.

laraeo Mon 09-Sep-13 21:11:31

Hi, my DS has similar issues - SALT since 2 1/2 (5 now) and OT since Jan. He tends to slump over when he's tired - which is useful for me to know.

He's got a particularly weak core so we do a lot of plank positions and a number of other things to make him cross his mid-line like windmills. He also does a mean wheelbarrow walk.

I also advocate martial arts. He does Tae Kwon Do which has helped him immensely. His instructors are very patient with him and it's great to see him improve.

He'd have to have 1:1 swimming & we haven't gone down that road yet.

zebrafinch Mon 09-Sep-13 21:25:54

My DD was diagnosed with low muscle tone at the far end of the normal range.. She did physio exercises, I took her to tumble tots and swimming lessons. She had difficulty with a knife and fork and using a pen. There are different grips on pens available to help handwriting. She did lots of dot to dot pictures and colouring pictures when younger to help and she was encouraged to use her non handwriting arm to Place it on the paper to stabilise her upper body and fix her position to help her handwriting.
She also found it difficult riding a bike and climbing ladders. She is a young adult now, has done well at school and now has a full time job. Most written communication is via a keyboard these days but handwriting was important for exams.
Today, tHe muscle tone is not an issue for her, her tone is still on the low side, she still cannot ride a bike.

zebrafinch Mon 09-Sep-13 21:29:43

There are work books you can buy which have handwriting exercises so your child can practice making letters and joining up letters

Tilly1969 Tue 10-Sep-13 07:30:04

Thank you so much for all your replies. I definitely will be taking on all your advice. I remember the OT said wheelbarrow walk was good. I spoke to his teacher yesterday who is our SENCO but she wasn't really aware of the condition but had exercises that previous children had used, so fingers crossed!

Igottaproblem Tue 10-Sep-13 19:02:20

I found the website "skills for action" really useful

CaptainWonderPants Thu 12-Sep-13 11:39:15

If you type talk tools into a search engine, it brings up a range of whistles, recorders etc, which can strengthen oral muscles and aid eating.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now