Threads in this topic are removed from the site 90 days after the thread was started. Our SN area is not a substitute for expert advice. Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Goose and Carrot, 6th Sept. End of first week drinkies!

(161 Posts)
Galena Fri 06-Sep-13 18:18:25

Let me open the doors today. All welcome!

We've had a good week. DD has started school and seems happy enough - a far cry from the insecure, screamy child who wouldn't let me leave the room for 5 minutes a year ago at preschool.

Apart from that, not much has happened... Still waiting for confirmation of her op, still waiting for report following complaint from her mri...

SallyBear Fri 06-Sep-13 18:41:55

Glad that she's had a great start at school. Have you spoken with the surgical bookings clerk to get an approximate date? They generally tell you roughly when it will be ime.

It's my birthday today, so I've had a nice peaceful day doing nothing much. DH was in Munich until this afternoon. He was more excited that Toby puppy can now go out for walkies than it being my birthday....., but I did get lots of lovely presents and cards, plus FB messages from everyone. I don't mind getting old really. smile

Galena Fri 06-Sep-13 18:49:36

Happy birthday, Sallybear! Glad you've had a nice day. Did you get a pressie from Munich?

Yes, I have been in contact and it should be early Nov (They are talking about 4th, but ghat could change), however, because their consultants haven't yet reviewed her MRI, they haven't confirmed that she is definitely suitable for the op. Our consultant says everything is fine, but they won't accept that, their surgeons need to review it too... They also broke the news that the op has to be paid for in full before the pre-op which will be October 7th! So, a month away, but they can't tell us she is definitely suitable yet! Argh!

PolterGoose Fri 06-Sep-13 19:01:11

Happy birthday Sally wine and cake

Glad dd is enjoying school Galena and hoping you get date confirmed soon flowers

Ds has managed his first 3 days back fine. Got the letter about choosing secondary yesterday, scary.

SummerRain Fri 06-Sep-13 19:11:53

Ds2 pooed in the toilet last night. I hadn't started the movicol yet but had been talking to him loads about it and last night while I had him on the loo something seemed to click in his head and he did it. Shocking how much a tiny body can hold shock grin only one accident since too... Bonus!

SummerRain Fri 06-Sep-13 19:12:29

Happy birthday Sally! cake

Galena Fri 06-Sep-13 19:16:21

Fantastic, summer ! We certainly found that once she was 'unbunged' she had less accidents of either sort. In fact, it wasn't till she was cleared out that she toilet trained, but then it was overnight.

autumnsmum Fri 06-Sep-13 19:17:34

Happy birthday Sally got two dcs back to school and now I just have to start dd2 at ss on monday

ouryve Fri 06-Sep-13 19:22:19

We've not had a bad start, either. DS1 even seems positive about homework, which we had to abandon, last year. This year, they have a bucket list, to do in any order, of 20 simple, everyday tasks which require reading or writing ability, use of numerical skills or IT skills eg finding out what record was number 1 when they were born, or making a cake they've never made before.

We were up at silly o'clock again, this morning, but nothing to do with the boys, this time. The power to most of the village was shorting out and everything kept turning on and off, so i was woken up by the phone repeatedly beeping and the radio alarm flashing on and off at 4:30. By the time I'd stumbled around the house with a torch and unplugged everything, I couldn't get back to sleep again. We had to fish out the camping stove to make the boys some egg sarnies for breakfast (both need something substantial, rather than sweet) and thankfully, the school was unaffected, since DH was working from home. We didn't get power back until lunchtime then it went off again, briefly, later in the afternoon. At least DH had plenty of reading to do for work and could use his phone for email. And we're glad he stayed home, as loads of the roads near where he works are flooded and closed. It's a new office, and ground floor, so he's expecting an interesting scenario when he arrives, on Monday! It also meant he could drive the already discombobulated boys to school and back and avoid the inevitable rain on face meltdowns.

moosemama Fri 06-Sep-13 19:23:57

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SALLY! flowers wine

Did you get a present off Toby? grin

Galena, good to hear dd is enjoying school. My dd is loving it so much she asked if she could go back in as we were walking out the gates this afternoon. I had to explain that much as her teachers love teaching her, they would rather like to go home and see their families at the weekend. grin

Ds1 is happy at his new school and they've been great so far, but transport issues continue to get worse and worse (see the transport problems threads if you can bear to read the full length rant). I am so angry, sad, heartbroken for ds and a million and one other emotions all rolled up into one, but too exhausted to actually let any of them out this evening.

He came home so exhausted and ill this evening. He practically fell out of the minibus and said "I need to go to bed, get me inside". I had to half carry him down the drive. sad Then as soon as we got in the front door he went into full meltdown because I suggested he came in the kitchen for a drink and some pain relief before he went up. He has a migraine and he only ever gets those when his stress levels are maxed out. sad

Dh and I are going to get things straight in our heads this weekend and a formal complaint will be going into the LA on Monday.

Ds2 is miserable as sin because he has the only two teachers he doesn't like in the whole school (on a job-share) this year. He had them both in y3 (y5 this year) and that was the only time I've ever known him not want to go to school - he was a timid, sad boy that whole school year. sad This morning he got upset on the way there and told me he didn't want to go - so here we go again.

... and none of them have been back a week yet!

I need an enormous glass of wine - no scratch that, gimme the bottle!

stillstanding29 Fri 06-Sep-13 19:39:49

Hi guys smile First time I've joined in one of these weekend threads - I normally lurk.

Happy Birthday Sally!

Feel for you and your DSs moose. There have been a few worrying transport threads this week.

I am about to have a big glass of wine for getting through a long week. I can't believe DS3 has actually started his new school after a 2 year build up and he's hardly batted an eyelid. Long may it continue. I have made progress with his transport problems as LA have confirmed that driver is not allowed to leave DS at his drop off point if there is no one there to meet him. DS1 & 2 back ito college and school with minimal grumbling.

Grumpy husband though!!

ouryve Fri 06-Sep-13 19:48:28

And as a separate post, since that one was a bit of an essay:

Happy birthday Sally!
And WTG, SummerRain's DS2 (oh, we certainly have Summer rain, today)

Moose, poor boys and poor you, having to deal with the fall out of it all with them - have the whole bottle of wine

And i forgot to mention - I finally managed to speak to the EWO, the other day and she apologised profusely.

moosemama Fri 06-Sep-13 19:59:17

Might need two bottles ... and a box of chocolates.

Ds2 just completely lost it with ds1 for talking at him, ds1 came downstairs in distress telling us that ds2 had gone to bed in our bed and wouldn't speak to him.

I spoke to ds2 and told him to try and have more compassion for ds1's situation and explained what an awful time ds1 is having and that he needs to reconnect with home and wind down. Ds2 then went upstairs, pulled a face at ds1 and burst into tears. Cue ds1 coming back down to ask what was wrong with ds2 saying he was really worried about him.

I have now told them that they are both exhausted and it's probably better if they just leave each other alone this evening and spend some time together tomorrow instead.

Aaargh!

Ouryve, I'm so glad the EWO apologised - so she bloody well should!

Trigglesx Fri 06-Sep-13 20:02:02

Hi all. Been a chaotic week (as always, it seems). But hoping that things settle down now. Today has been particularly trying.

I am convinced that I am the one going to school - all the paperwork sent home from both schools to fill in, it's like I am the one with the homework. I am already sick of paperwork. hmm

I cancelled the appointment with the doctor regarding the enuresis. She prescribed meds for DS1, but then huge warning not to allow him to drink any liquids for 6-8 hours after meds taken, or it will overload kidneys and land him in ICU. Well, you can imagine my comfort level with that! shock DS1 goes to bed with a big sipper of water each night - rarely drinks out of it, but has it there in case he starts coughing or gets a tickly throat. It's part of "the bedtime routine." The last thing I need to worry about it a nightly meltdown over taking this away, plus the worry that he'll take his brother's water from his room (which means I then have TWO of them upset over loss of water by the bedside), and then I need to keep an ear out (while I'm sleeping, mind!) that he doesn't get up and go downstairs and get water from the bathroom sink and drink that. Not. Worth. the Aggravation. IMO.

Plus he recently had a dry night (a rarity) and very minimal urine in the pullup this morning. Feeling a bit positive - even if it's just for a few day. grin

The paed seems to think his frequent waking up at night is due to bed wetting, but he wakes up when dry - sings, talks to himself, wanders about his room, comes in to talk to me - so I hardly think it's strictly due to that. I think he simply is awake because he wakes up. Not really THAT complicated, is it? I am not sure I want to give him MORE sleeping meds as how will he ever be dry if he is drugged into deeper sleep? confused

Such a dilemma. H was a bit annoying this week, stating he couldn't come up with the £30 for half of DS2's swimming lessons, when I'm soon paying for a third 6wk session for DS1 for private lessons, which cost £120 per session. sigh

On a positive note, DS1 is happy with school, and they start RDA riding next week as well as afterschool art club.

God, sorry so long. <Makes mental note to get out more and talk to people> grin

Trigglesx Fri 06-Sep-13 20:02:25

Oh, sorry - meant to say Happy Birthday Sally!!!!

SummerRain Fri 06-Sep-13 20:36:26

Triggles grin we're people and we get it, write as much as you feel like and don't apologise. Wrt the eurenisis meds, dd took the desmopressin and we didn't get those warnings about fluids, we were just told don't let her drink too much. Not that they worked anyway. And now the cystin has stopped working too hmm

Dd had today off, her asthma is bad. I had dropped her down to one puff of brown a day and she wasn't using the blue at all so I stopped the brown last week to give her a break but she's very bad today, had to use the blue repeatedly and wasn't able for school. I feel guilty now, I foolishly thought if she was completely asthma free on the brown she could cope without it for a little while blush

Hi all,

There is something wrong with me today. No idea why I've been so grumpy. I've now gone and poured half yes HALF a bottle of red into the Bolognese sauce when I was in a daze about something. I considered taking it off the heat immediately so that I could consume it with full alcohol content but alas, it is to be shared with the kids. sad

DS started school on Thursday and seemed pleased to be back, so that is a relief. It helps that he was given a very detailed visual story about it and I think plenty of preparation and also, significantly, he has the same teacher. Perhaps it is the relief of that that has me moping around.

Sorry you've not heard about the op or complaint Galena. Hope they both come soon. Both stressful even if you didn't have to do waiting also.

Happy Birthday Sallybear!!!

Well done to Polter's and summerrain's ds'

So sorry about ongoing transport issues Moose. Hope you can both unwind a bit over the weekend.

hazeyjane Fri 06-Sep-13 20:53:13

Hello everyone.

Happy Birthday SallyBear! Hope you are drinking something sparkling (not Fanta) and eating fine chocolates.

Glad to hear of the smooth school starts, and sorry to hear about shitty weeks.

I am in a quandary over stuff at the moment, thinking about cutting some things from ds's routine, but not sure if I would be doing it for the right reasons.

Seeing ds at preschool this week has really got me down, I have a lot of thinking to do.

By the way, thankyou to zzzzz for the tip about writing a diary about school, I've started doing it, and think it will really help.

PolterGoose Fri 06-Sep-13 21:04:58

Sorry all of you having crap weeks wine cake

Star please check you inbox wink

SallyBear Fri 06-Sep-13 21:14:29

Thank you everyone! Watching tv, quaffing a nice Malbec and eyeing up birthday posh chocolates. smile Love birthdays!

NoHaudinMaWheest Fri 06-Sep-13 21:25:59

Hello everyone. Happy birthday Sally.

Moose so sorry to hear about your ongoing transport troubles.
Great for those with smooth starts.

Triggles get what you mean about the paperwork I had masses this week and Dd hasn't started yet.

Ds seems to be managing transition to 6th form well on the whole. His OCD rituals made him late this morning. They are supposed to phone 6th form admin themselves if they are late or ill and he did it without any hesitation and explained why! (He is usually embarrassed to talk about his OCD difficulties.)

DH is going off to look after his mum who has had an operation on her leg tomorrow for a week. He isn't usually away for more than a couple of nights so it will be interesting to see how that goes.

ouryve Fri 06-Sep-13 22:05:11

Moose. Our houses sound equally peaceful.

At least ds1 didn't loudly wish ds2 gone, this evening.

winewinewinewinewinewinewinewinewinewinewinewinewinewinewinewinewine

ArthurPewty Sun 08-Sep-13 10:17:04

Ah Moose sorry to hear its chaos.

DD2 starts tomorrow, half days, in reception.

DD1 handling things very well, with her usual aplomb. She can be a lazy mouthy pre-teen she adores school.

DD2's Annual review scheduled for the same day as the strikes (wtf?!) so not sure what's going to happen there. Imagine i'll have to appeal anyway - they will not want to quantify, but i will not settle for less. I want the statements sorted properly and lawfully before these piece of shit EHCPs roll out next year.

ArthurPewty Sun 08-Sep-13 10:17:29

*but she adores school - and she does work hard on it.

PolterGoose Sun 08-Sep-13 10:57:37

NoHaudin really pleased ds is settling into 6th form and made his own phone call shock very impressed grin

Arthur best wishes for dd2 starting school and good luck for the review

So far so good here smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now