Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

ADOS and ADI suitable for Aspergers?

(9 Posts)
debs40 Sat 13-Mar-10 09:22:10

Just looking at Tony Attwood's book and he says:

“these diagnostic assessment instruments were primarily designed for the diagnosis of autism, not Asperger’s syndrome, and are not sensitive to the more subtle characteristic of Asper’s syndrome"

He says the diagnostic assessment for Asperger's requires a protocol developed by individual clinicians examining areas of ability as well as difficulties.

Does anyone have any experience of alternative assessments?

daisy5678 Sat 13-Mar-10 10:47:15

No, but I know children with quite mild (in terms of how they function) Aspergers who have been diagnosed using ADI and ADOS.

genieinabottle Sat 13-Mar-10 10:53:55

Bumping for you.

No idea about your question.
I know and i'm sure you do too that the ADOS has several modules depending on the speech ability.
DS who high-fonctioning, and younger than your son, will be 4.5 approx. when he does his ADOS, it will be the module 2.
Although DS can now speak 5-6 sentences, CAHMS said DS has autism and not Aspergers. I do not quite understand the differences between HFA and AS other than speech delay in early years or not.

debs40 Sun 14-Mar-10 22:36:50

Thanks. I know very little about the tests but I understand that they are the two used here and they seemed to be used to diagnose.....by that I mean there seems little scope for clinical judgment. Yet, that clinical judgment sseems crucially important if you are going to pick up subtleties.

I'm also apppalled that a panel ultimately decides. I can see the point if the professionals have had some involvement with the child, but most of them willl only be going on the data derived from the tests

JillMLD Tue 16-Mar-10 00:29:32

I dont understand the ins and outs but my DS was, last week, diagnosed as having Aspergers and that was with an ADOS.
Does this mean it might not be Aspergers ?

debs40 Tue 16-Mar-10 07:57:29

No, it doesn't mean that. It just means that it is not necessarily the best test for picking up the subtleties. If things are clear, it's not a problem but if things are more subtle and 'borderline' these tests may have limitations.

That is how I read it anyway.

wasuup3000 Tue 16-Mar-10 09:48:04

Does your son have a speech and language therapist and has she done a pragmatics profile with you?

debs40 Tue 16-Mar-10 10:21:00

Yes, he saw a SALT once for assessment in October. She confirmed SCD and discharged with a list of recommendations including attendance on the Early Bird Plus course.

This is the protocol for children in this area because of the shortage of SALTs but they have said they are happy to advise on IEP targets.

wasuup3000 Tue 30-Mar-10 22:01:48

Hi Debs-Your information is correct sometimes a child can score to low for a diagnosis in the ADOS test but if all the background history is there that ASD maybe a possibility then CAMHs will do school assessments and play assessments and figure it out for themselves. Well they will in our area-I checked it out today.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now