Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Dyspraxia and dla

(37 Posts)
jambuttie Fri 03-Aug-07 15:17:22

just wanted your views on this please if I may.

applied for ds1 but has been refused is this normal?

coppertop Fri 03-Aug-07 17:26:04

They're notorious for turning down DLA applications for no apparent reason. Definitely ask for a reconsideration.

I got turned down about 3 times when I applied about 4 years ago, so gave up in the end.

jambuttie Fri 03-Aug-07 20:53:07

have had to go to appeal on 2 occasions for my DT's.

I mean FFS if it aint bad enough that our precious cherubs have additional needs these buggers do this to us

I so can't face another panel hearing

Peachy Fri 03-Aug-07 21:04:12

JB mine for ds3 got refused today, he's incontinent barely vocal and probably has quite abd ASD

My Cm's has been refused as well, after 11 years! Her ds has AS and won't even leave his bed for weeks at a time let alone wash etc

They're on a roll atm

jambuttie Fri 03-Aug-07 22:04:19

OMG Peachy that's awful

hope you are appealing too

Peachy Sat 04-Aug-07 11:28:11

Oh I am very appealing

to the lea, DLa, etc etc etc

sallysparrow Mon 06-Aug-07 11:35:32

Very unlikely to get dla for dyspraxia - I cant think of many people I know who have.

emandjules Mon 06-Aug-07 15:57:13

Hi, i have heard of ppl who have got dla for dyspraxia. I got middle rate first time recently for dd who has no formal dx but who has sensory issues in the same group as dyspraxia.

expatinscotland Mon 06-Aug-07 16:04:39

What other delays does he have?

DD1 has dyspraxia. But she's also got a GDD diagnosis, because her needs go beyond dyspraxia, unfortunately.

Can you talk to his paed about his diagnosis?

jambuttie Thu 09-Aug-07 19:37:12

he has low muscle tone and joint hypermobility.

he struggles with day to day things eg dressing, toothbrushing, riding ab ike, school

Julia76 Wed 15-Aug-07 21:02:07

yes we got turned down also...Didnt bother applying again.

Julia76 Wed 15-Aug-07 21:04:28

I do also know of a few people who recieve it for there kids who have dyspraxia.So it is not un heard of.

Nat1H Wed 15-Aug-07 21:09:19

The problem with DLA is that you have to paint the worst picture possible of your child - picking out all the bad points and none of the good. This is VERY hard to do!
I would appeal - most of the penpushers who make the crucial decisions have no idea what its like to live with a child with SEN.

jambuttie Sat 18-Aug-07 10:24:26

thanks folks!!!

I have sent off asking that they reconsider and writing again the areas in which he has difficulties.

Have also pointed out that he uses for example and angle board in school to assist in his writing whereas kids his age donrt have this

Will wait and see

Jods Wed 22-Aug-07 11:11:09

what is dyspraxia cos both my kids might have it?

mum24boyz Fri 24-Aug-07 07:02:59

jambuttie, does your ds have a gdd diagnosis, my ds4 has diagnosis of gdd with hypermobile joints, but in my opinion ticks lots of boxes for dyspraxia, we have just been awarded mid rate dla for the 2nd time, lost his mobility this time but he isnt 5 till next feb, i guess i am much luckier than some, defo go all the way to appeal though hun, and get as much back up as you can, inundate them with letters if need be, good luck.

jambuttie Wed 29-Aug-07 17:48:18

Hi mum24boys

my ds has not had GDD diagnosis although one of my twins hasshock

Have had the acknowledge mt letter too from DLA saying the usual 11 weeks timescale so here's hoping they look at it fairly

jambuttie Sat 15-Sep-07 08:47:38

Ok so this morning the postie has brought to me the Tribunal papers which I have to fill in and return within 14 days!!!

On reading the reports on why he was refused, they have said he has been refused highest rate mobility(never asked for hi rate) because although he has difficulties and needs supervision it doesn't warrant an award.

The doctors report was from a consultant who has seen him ONCE at the hospital and this was his appointment when he went about his "Blank episodes".

I had written to them asking for reconsideration stating the following

DS1 is much slower at walking than children his own age and struggles to run. If he walk a distance he is in severe pain and discomfort and becomes very distressed.

He is frequently awake in the night in pain and discomfort in his legs and needs much comforting to calm/destress and resettle.

He is unable to ride a bike(he has little to none power in his legs) unlike kids his own age, can't cut out pictures- cant use scissors, cant catch a ball if thrown to him- doesnt then get "picked" for certain games by his piers

Standing/walking for long periods causes him pain/discomfort.

washing and dressing- he needs lots of encouragement and gets angry at himself at not being abke to manage alone,

he takes MUCH longer to eat a meal and tends to use his fingers cause he finds cutlery difficult( we also have care cutlery in the house)

He's unsteady on his feet, balance poor falls over frequently bumps into things more than kids his own age.

So do you agree that it doesnt warrant an award? I dont have the energy to appeal this. but dont want to give up the fight for my son either

ANy advice would be much appreciated

deepbreath Sat 15-Sep-07 09:09:16

Hi Jambuttie,

Yes, I do think he should get DLA for the reasons you said.

My dd recently got DLA because of her mobility difficulties and extraordinary hypermobility in her joints. She has the same problems that you mentioned about your ds. I think the only difference between her and your ds is that my dd also has a heart condition and unstable vision.

Sadly, I think that if it was just the joints/pain issues that she probably wouldn't have got DLA. Her claim was refused the 1st time... the DWP had approached the wrong physio that had only seen her when she was a baby, so he couldn't help. The GP's report was lacking several key points, and suggested that dd's mobility problems were fixed with her wearing Piedro boots. He didn't even mention that she has to use a Maclaren Major buggy (which I collected from wheelchair services on the day the DLA claim was turned down). Her other consultants had some policy of not giving info to the DWP angry

I just asked them to look at the information again, and she was awarded high rate mobility and middle rate care.

Good luck with the tribunal, although you should not have to go through this sad

jambuttie Sat 15-Sep-07 10:37:47

Hi deepbreat and thanx for replying.

DS1 also has joint hypermobility and low muscle tone.

It's not like we are trying to defraud them in anyway- I mean you get told to apply do it and are refusedangry

Think I will sit down with hubby later go through the submission papers and see where we go from ther

will keep this bumped up too to see if we get anymore info

jambuttie Sat 15-Sep-07 14:28:37

bump

EmmaJW1976 Sat 15-Sep-07 15:07:46

I was turned down first but I applied again 6 months later and then appealed.

The boundaries change when they reach 5 and it seems a lot easier to get.

They told me that all kids under 5 need help washing, dressing, etc and that's why it's hard to get under that age.

He was actually 7 by the time I got it. I got a letter from his teacher etc.

Good luck and keep appealing!

jambuttie Sat 15-Sep-07 15:32:53

Thanx hun

DS1 is 5 - 6 in November, will also contact the local advice shop and see if they can help

mymatemax Sat 15-Sep-07 16:01:19

Jambuttie You should appeal, ikwym about being able to face it tho - do you have a pro DLA professional on your side, I think it can make all the difference if they can summarise your ds's difficulties using the buzz words the DLA need to hear to tick enough boxes for an award.

I've just received the pack for DS2's renewal, so I imagine i'll be on here moaning about the B**stard DWP before you know it.

Good Luck

jambuttie Sat 15-Sep-07 17:18:19

Have been to appeal with DT1 + 2 and used the local advice shop so will try calling them this week- it's holiday monday so will need to wait till tuesday/wedn

jambuttie Sat 15-Sep-07 19:08:59

bump

deepbreath Sun 16-Sep-07 00:02:39

Sorry, I forgot to say earlier that my dd is 4, and has just started school. She can walk a bit, but it's painful just to watch her hips, knees and ankles all going in different directions. I think that the know it all's from the DWP should have to live like that for a day to see just how painful it is.

Surely even if your ds didn't quite meet the criteria for high rate mobility, there's still middle rate?

jambuttie Sun 16-Sep-07 10:56:27

well I would have thought that too hun, but it appears from their report that they have went high rate. Never have I asked for that not ever.

It makes me angry that they(DWP) just don't read between the lines angry

jambuttie Sun 16-Sep-07 11:58:33

Went thru papers again this morning and have made a few notes on the errors they have made.

One main one was that we had asked that they contact the motor co-ordination clinic for further info however they contacted the paediatric consultant that had met DS1 only once and about different thing alotgether- she has also made comments on this application which we find unfair as she doesnt know my son.

We have decided to go for a paper appeal as I don't feel I can go thru another oral appeal so will get the forms sent of on Tuesday(holiday tomorrow)

zoe23 Fri 22-Feb-08 18:56:43

Can i get DLA for my 4 yr old son who has got dyspraxia?

zoe23 Fri 22-Feb-08 19:01:30

I need to know A.S.A.P as i dont understand it envy

lottiejenkins Fri 22-Feb-08 19:44:57

Zoe I would advise that you contact the Dyscovery Centre in Cardiff for advice... they are the people I have contacted before or the Dyspraxia Foundation!
www.dyscovery.co.uk/uniform/centre.htm
www.dyspraxiafoundation.org.uk/

Jambuttie Wed 27-Feb-08 07:50:57

Forgot about this threadgrin

well ds1 was awarded low rate care and mobility which we got backdated till May last yr

needmorecoffee Wed 27-Feb-08 09:16:19

we never got DLA for dyspraxia but ds2 can walk. We do get DLA for dd2 who can't walk at all.
But Ihear they can be random. There's someone in my CP group whose son is severely physically imapired like my dd - no sitting, hand function, rolling, walking etc etc and they got turned down!

zoe23 Fri 29-Feb-08 15:31:09

can i get D.L.A for my 4yr old boy who has got dyspraxia? hmm

lottiejenkins Fri 29-Feb-08 16:53:53

Zoe i posted before. Have you contacted either of the people i suggested? they tend to know what they are talking about and should be able to help!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now