Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Can anyone tell me what the Makaton signs for 'pink' and 'purple' are please?

(32 Posts)
moondog Mon 05-Mar-07 20:54:41

For my salt group tomorrow.

moondog Mon 05-Mar-07 21:11:24

twoisplenty Mon 05-Mar-07 21:41:21

I may be able to help...I do believe pink is rubbing the index finger on the cheek in very small circles.

The purple that I know: signing the letter P but flicking the index finger twice at the top of the P (does that make any sense?)

moondog Mon 05-Mar-07 21:42:44

Ah thank you Two.
Makes perfect sense to me.
My reputation is saved (doesn't look good when the salt can't do signs)

Califrau Mon 05-Mar-07 21:46:53

pink for me (Cardiff BSL) is rubbing lips while saying pink. Purple is flicking the back of your left hand with your right middle finger being pinged by your thumb (IMO to induce a purple bruise!)

moondog Mon 05-Mar-07 22:00:26

Interesting Cal.I love the provenance of signs (Did you know that the cheek rubbing action for sugar comes from the fact that handling sugar in Liverpool docks caused dermatitis and also that lots of dock workers were Deaf?)

BSL and makaton have some marked differences.

Bethron Mon 05-Mar-07 22:01:55

We do what twoisplenty described although we have moved onto black and white and I have no idea what the signs for those are if anyone can help???

SoupDragon Mon 05-Mar-07 22:03:32

Justin on Somethng Special seems to do red blue for purple. ie he does the sign for red then the one for blue although I can't remember what they are!

moondog Mon 05-Mar-07 22:03:53

Black is a scrubbing motion on the cheek (worryingly unPC I fear..) whereas white is the action of plucking feathers out of one's chest which I love.

theheadgirl Mon 05-Mar-07 22:07:17

Yes I'm with Justin - I was was taught red/blue for purple;
red - index finger along bottom lip in a curved motion
blue - index finger along back of hand like you're tracing a vein.

twoisplenty Mon 05-Mar-07 22:09:24

Yes, I think I saw Justin do that for puple. My ds school uses Makaton, and uses purple as the flicking of the letter P. But I like Justin's as well, as long as pupils actually know that red and blue makes purple!

moondog Mon 05-Mar-07 22:18:21

Yes,I like that too.Now does he do green as a blue/yellow combo then?

twoisplenty Mon 05-Mar-07 22:19:57

Ha Ha!! This is where MNers can start asking things like, what is the sign for silver or gold then!!! Ermmmm...

moondog Mon 05-Mar-07 22:31:56

Yes.What are they then??

twoisplenty Mon 05-Mar-07 23:09:51

Quick moondog! Don't go to bed yet!! I've found the actual makaton sign for purple!! It's in the official book.

I promise I wasn't looking specifically for purple, your thread made me feel I should learn a few more signs! Anyway, official sign for purple is the sign for red, followed by index finger doing circle motion on opposite wrist (wrist turned palm side up).

And I've found silver and gold. Silver says sign letter s, followed by sign for light towards self. Gold is the sign for G then light signed towards self.

There we go, I've learned some makaton tonight too.

Califrau Mon 05-Mar-07 23:21:10

The sign for Canton (a place in Cardiff - so local sign) is scratching your armpits. there used to be a colony of monkeys kept there

the sign for biscuit comes from the sailors who used to put ships biscuits on their wounds to draw weavils out [boak]

Califrau Mon 05-Mar-07 23:23:58

my white is tapping the teeth with peter pointer. Gold is hit both fists together as a G then do a sort of whoosh expolding the right hand off the top. I love trying to explain signs in words

Alan Tue 06-Mar-07 14:17:39

I have been taught the P sign for purple and pink as described by second post (like applying rouge to cheek)

Alan Tue 06-Mar-07 14:18:19

no white is pinching your top and then letting go

Alan Tue 06-Mar-07 14:18:35

agree for gold though

moondog Tue 06-Mar-07 21:21:46

Ah,more useful stuff.
lol at Canton Calif.With the biscuit thing,I was told the action hails back to a time when they would tap them to get the weevils out.

nikkie Tue 06-Mar-07 22:08:23

MIne seem to be different again!
Purple-Psign flicking top finger
Pink-Index finger at top of nose thumb underneath fingers slide to meet
White -pinching top
gold-G sign then opening hands like shining (think thats like what Califrau means too?)
Silver-S sign then opening hands to shine

moondog Tue 06-Mar-07 22:09:32

Nikkie,they are similar to ones mentioned here.
The 'white' one seems to be like plucking feathers which makes it easy to learn.
Now..can anyone sort me out on grey??

Christie Tue 06-Mar-07 22:18:52

Yes, that's right about the sign for biscuit, Moondog.
We use Signalong but a lot of the signs are the same as Makaton and there are quite a few that have interesting origins:

Lady - index finger moves from next to eye down to lips (shows where the ribbon of a lady's bonnet would be)

Sugar -clawed hand scratches at cheek (workers at Tate and Lyle used to carry sacks of sugar on their shoulders and often suffered from sugar dermititis on the cheek that rested on the sack)

nikkie Wed 07-Mar-07 12:34:09

Grey-G sign top hand making circles on top of the other like grinding action?

Moondog -It was the pink I was thinking that was different

I also know white as a line down face like girl but only tip of finger rather than whole finger IYSWIM

MegaLegs Thu 08-Mar-07 13:03:35

This is all really useful stuff. I've been at DS4's music group this morning and one mum is amazing at Makaton, I just copy her the whole time. Prob is at home DS4 loves 'singing' along with me playing the guitar, so I can't sign so I'm recruiting DS1 as my signer.

jollymum Thu 08-Mar-07 18:06:42

I find it hard when I have mums coming to my music group who do tinytalk or sing and sign. I use Makaton but the sign for sun is different in BSL as Makaton, so Incey Wincey is different! Also, I always think about the action for diamond when doing Twinkle Twinkle and hope no-one says "do you know what that sign means?!"

MegaLegs Fri 09-Mar-07 19:36:02

We did Twinkle Twinkle yesterday and I watched what the really good at Makaton mum signed for diamond as I remember from my BSL days that making a diamond shape with your fingers meant... well... fanjo I believe!!

She signed it differently but I can't remember what she did now.

sunshineandrainbows Wed 11-May-11 14:34:06

Dear twoisplenty....
I work at a school and we use Makaton but our books do not have the colours you have said about (gold and silver) could you please tell me the title and author and if poss the ISBN number of the book. Many thanks

EllenJaneisnotmyname Wed 11-May-11 23:48:57

I always used to giggle at 'diamond' in twinkle, twinkle. It's definitely lady parts, the triangle of pubic hair! My BSL tutor signed diamond by tapping a diamond ring.

White was index finger from under ear to throat for a white collar.

EllenJaneisnotmyname Wed 11-May-11 23:52:31

Wow, hadn't spotted this was such an old thread. blush

signandsmile Thu 12-May-11 08:58:10

sunshine check out the forest bookshop website, makaton, BSL, SSE, ASL etc etc, resources, plus D/deaf issues and history.

PS explaining signs in words can be difficult. If you check out 'BSL handshapes' it gives you the different positions your hands are held, so you can describe a sign in words by naming the handshape and the direction of movement...

Hope that helps,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now