Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Irlen and dyslexia

(4 Posts)
Newmanwannabe Sun 27-Nov-16 14:56:41

My DD has just been diagnosed with dyslexia. A friends children also have it and she has had them tested for irlens and they have received specific glasses.

I'm a little confused as to whether it is a credible condition. DD seems to fit the profile for it, but the dyskexia organisation we went to haven't mentioned it at all.

Really looking for both positive and negative stories regarding this please (if possible)

zzzzz Sun 27-Nov-16 18:46:26

I'm not quite sure what you are asking? Are you wanting to know if dyslexia is "real"? If so, then "yes". Are you wanting to know about irlens syndrome/overlays/lenses? If so, my understanding is a small number of people will find it significantly easier to track and read wearing coloured filters. It doesn't cure the dyslexia, what it does for my son is make the letters easier to see (he described it as smaller and spikier at 7), he also says it makes the spaces in between words bigger. He wore them for about a year while launching late into reading and now can't be bothered because he can manage without.

The overlays are relatively cheap and most sencos will lend you some at school.

Newmanwannabe Sun 27-Nov-16 22:09:33

Thank you. I suppose I was wanting to know if Irlens is "real". I definitely know, and accept she has dyslexia, but I think it is more a symptom of something else (which I'm not sure what that is) than her whole problem being dyslexia.

It's good to know the glasses helped your DS, he must have then learned how to compensate without them. I'll definitely look into them for her. She is only 8 and I'm hoping with a lot of work now we can really help her future learning

zzzzz Sun 27-Nov-16 22:13:56

As I understand it irlens only work for a very small subset of dyslexics.

Dyslexia is often comorbid (seen in conjecture with) OCD and ADHD.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now