Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

" Favorable decision" DLA what does this really mean?

(12 Posts)
user1477252695 Sat 26-Nov-16 15:30:49

Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read my post.

Yesterday morning I recvd. a call from a very nice lady @ Birmingham DLA office, she said she wanted me to give her my bank details. I asked her if this meant my son had been approved to which she replied it's a "favorable decision", and could I also confirm if he'd been prescribed additional medication and his care overnight. This I did.
What worries me is that I didn't say anything different than what was already on application and i'm 100% sure bank details were on application the lady even asked me to stop talking as she said she had enough info.

I asked her what would happen next, she advised me that she would put all the info on the system by the end of the day and that my son would recv. and an award notice within 7 days and to read it and ensure I understood what was written. She said that bit in a funny way.

Am I being paranoid, was this call a test?
Also do some parents/carers recv. letters stating that their child has recvd. a Nil DLA as an award?

Whats making me extra worried as it seemed super quick compared to others online 2.5 weeks from posting to the call yesterday and it's a first application.

Thanks again.

noblegiraffe Sat 26-Nov-16 15:38:49

I'd phone the DLA people and ask them to confirm that someone from them had phoned you and asked for your bank details, tbh.

If yes, ask why as they'd already been provided.

user1477252695 Sat 26-Nov-16 16:02:51

noblegiraffe, I apologise I didnt put that in the first post the call was genuine as I told the lady i diddnt believe her and I was calling DWP 0345 No. on letter Id recvd from DLA, she said that was fine and gave me a number to call her back on the lady at DWP confirmed that the call was genuine as Birmingham lady had just put note on system that she had called me and was calling back. DWP also confirmed the phone number she gave me too.

noblegiraffe Sat 26-Nov-16 16:43:23

I'm sorry, I don't know how the process works, but I would assume that they wouldn't have asked for your bank details if they didn't intend to put some money in your account!

user1477252695 Sat 26-Nov-16 17:03:52

Thanks hun, sometimes you just need to hear another opinion, I kinda thought that.
I seem to have come across parents online that have waited months to have their children claims processed. Also the original letter you receive states they will contact you if they need more info.
After the call it made me think it was a test as I diddnt say anything diff and the deffo had bank dets.

Frusso Sun 27-Nov-16 15:17:06

I was phoned and asked about sleep. And waking during the night. I'd put it all down on the form. And only gave them the information they already had.

AliceInUnderpants Sun 27-Nov-16 15:41:03

We received DD's award in 2013. I, too, was given a phone call just double checking her nighttime care needs. She got MRC and LRM, it appeared within the next week in my account, and a letter followed IIRC.

Remember to notify Tax Credits, as you should get extra entitlement. And on an award of MRC or higher, you may be entitled to Carers Allowance too.

imip Sun 27-Nov-16 15:49:12

Dd was awarded DLA last month.

We were called to confirm my nationality (I have dual Australian/Irish citizenship) and I needed to provide them with a photocopy of my passports.

I was not asked to confirm any bank details. Perhaps they couldn't read the numbers properly and just wanted to confirm?

I do know they contacted my GP, who really wouldn't know anything, but could confirm all the other health providers involved with dds care.

Fairylea Sun 27-Nov-16 15:53:59

They regularly call people now and ask you the same things as on the form. I think it's to make sure you're genuine etc.

It took us 2 weeks to get high rate granted for ds. He was 2.8 at the time and has a diagnosis of asd and dyspraxia. They phoned us to ask about sleep etc which we'd already written on the form.

user1477252695 Sun 27-Nov-16 19:21:09

Thanks everyone, you've all made me feel a lot better.

Funny thing I did type all my answers. It was only after the call it made me think I have actually repeated myself to the lady and the fact she said the decision was favorable before I gave the the answers to the nighttime and medication Qs. made me think it was a test and I'd messed up in some way.

I did check with school on Friday and the SENCo. the school had not been contacted them. But she had supplied me with a supporting letter, so maybe thats why. Our GP won't really have much to say I feel. They will only have copies of all his reports. My son hasnt seen them for anything relating to his ASD or mental health conditions.
I will contact Tax Credits as you suggested, I'm guessing I wont be able to do that until letter arrives assuming its positive.
Coincidentally I had been told to apply for carers at the same time as DLA, the rejection letter came last Thursday. I had assumed that they would keep it on file until decision re. DLA.

One more Q. do you think if I call tomorrow they can tell me over the phone what he rate qualified at.

Thanks again.

Frusso Mon 28-Nov-16 16:45:35

I would say if she stated it was favorable to keep an eye on your bank, as the backdated award usually goes in before the award letter reaches you.

user1477252695 Mon 28-Nov-16 17:28:17

Hi everyone,

Just to let you know, I called DLA at 8am, the man let me know my son has been awarded High rate care and Low rate mob. for 3yrs, and that the funds would be in the acc. by Wednesday this week , and the nxt payment will be on 27/12/16, but earlier due to Christmas.

Thanks again Xx.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now