Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Where/ who do I go to about DD?

(7 Posts)
Namechangenurseryconcerns Wed 23-Nov-16 09:57:54

Another morning of tears about socks. I thought she'd grown out of this and we'd managed to finally find underwear she will wear but obviously not.

She's 7. V immature, often talks in a baby voice and needs a lot of cuddles, hates getting dressed, useless at organising herself, poor fine motor skills (handwriting and cutlery), obsessions. And generally hard work.
I'm exhausted with trying to manage her whilst dealing with DS as well (also demanding but straightforward!)

I don't know if she is 'just' sensitive and hard work or if there's something else going on.

PolterGoose Wed 23-Nov-16 10:26:27

I would ask GP for an OT assessment.

Have a look at the school age fact file here for some practical help too.

PolterGoose Wed 23-Nov-16 10:30:07

You might want to explore how autism presents in girls too, obviously nobody can diagnose on internet etc but I think it might be worth considering.

Namechangenurseryconcerns Wed 23-Nov-16 11:03:09

That school age fact file is very useful thank you.
I keep thinking about autism. I know it presents differently in girls (and in all people really!) but I don't really know where to go with it.

Namechangenurseryconcerns Wed 23-Nov-16 19:49:06

Going backwards and forwards wondering if she is just being awkward. Had another tantrum (I wouldn't call it a meltdown as it was fairly subdued) over her homework (writing out her spellings-the pencil didn't work (it did) her writing was rubbish (it wasn't) and then that her dinner was too hot etc etc etc.
But then after I'd told her I was getting cross and left her to it she got on with everything and was as sweet as pie-got ready for brownies with no issues.
It all seems to be about control but I can't be certain there's nothing underlying that's making life hard for her.
I can't help thinking the gp will laugh me out of the door if I take her saying her socks are too itchy!

PolterGoose Wed 23-Nov-16 20:01:15

It's more than socks though isn't it? smile

It's the sensory and motor skills things which make me think start off with looking at help for the practical things with an OT assessment and then go from there.

But I really would recommend you read about autistic girls.

zzzzz Wed 23-Nov-16 20:08:44

It really doesn't matter (from a how to help point of view) if she is "just sensitive" or something more diagnosable. You are still going to deal with it. I'm on a phone but their are lots of ways you can help her and achieve an easier life for both of you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now