Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

New teacher is disappointed that ds needs calming down time...

(11 Posts)
guggenheim Fri 18-Nov-16 09:39:25

Help!!!!
New school, inexperienced teacher- senco and more experienced teacher say they will support her. Ds is on very part time hours.
I''m shocked at how little his Teacher knows about Asd,surely allowing children time to calm down is very basic stuff?

I have begun to explain some aspects of Asd to her and she rather looked like I was making it up. I hope that she'll be prepared to listen...

Can anyone give me a link to short factual descriptors of Asd behaviours / adjustments in classroom type info?
I''m going to drip feed info to her and show her some of the rescouces I use. I''m just going to be bloody persistent until she does understand.

I may need gin later.

PolterGoose Fri 18-Nov-16 11:00:16

There should be something here on NAS site which will be useful. Although the NAS isn't perfect there's a better chance of a teacher taking them seriously because they're big and known.

They should also call in autism advisory.

Ineedmorepatience Fri 18-Nov-16 11:03:06

The autism education trust is rolling out a training program! Level 1 is free apparently but I think a teacher working directly ith a child with autism would need level 2!

www.autismeducationtrust.org.uk

Twinkletowedelephant Fri 18-Nov-16 11:45:12

Persevere...ds teacher I was told had experience with children with asd.... She did just had no clue about ds because he wasn't the same....

3 months in and she is getting him things have clicked for both of them. He's doing his work and she given him the time space and help hr needs to get it done. She has even convinced the school to start Lego therapy ehich worked really wrll St his last school)

( She has also learnt a lot about Pokemon/skylanders....which gives her options to divert him before he goes into meltdown...OK so that didn't go as planned but which Pokemon is the fastest.... Etc)

Ekorre Fri 18-Nov-16 11:45:36

"disappointed"? FGS

this book has lots of simple explanations for teachers and suggestions for how to accomodate/tackle issues.

zzzzz Fri 18-Nov-16 11:51:56

Try emailing the Rosie BBC thingy, the autism project thing and I like the Hands thing too as it checks over enthusiasm. I tend to share whatever I found helpful and those 3 really stay with me and help my thinking.

Link below.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=ejpWWP1HNGQ

vimeo.com/52193530

www.google.co.uk/amp/s/juststimming.wordpress.com/2011/10/05/quiet-hands/amp/?client=safari

guggenheim Fri 18-Nov-16 13:27:41

You are all wonderful : )

Fwiw his new teacher seems kind and calm , so I think I can work with her.

I don't post often but you lovely posters have saved my dwindling sanity on many occasions.

Thanks x a million

WouldHave Fri 18-Nov-16 20:25:25

My first reaction to the teacher's "disappointment" was that she'll just have to learn to live with it. Otherwise she's doomed to an awful lot of disappointment in her teaching career.

Can you suggest to the SENCO that she needs to be sent off for training? My dsis who is a teacher was sent to a day's training when she first had a child with ASD in her class.

zzzzz Fri 18-Nov-16 20:41:52

To be honest the "disappointment" would give me a red rage, but don't let those thoughts in if you can help it.

MeirAya Sat 19-Nov-16 00:10:02

Maybe the disappointment was with herself/ her poor training so far?

I can understand a newbie feeling a bit disappointed at unexpected failure. It's hard when a 'I can keep kids learning all day' bubble is burst.

When this naive bubble is burst by an autistic child's undeniable need to regularly escape from her close presence - and from all she stands for - she may need a day or two to adjust. But then she needs to listen, learn and get on with it. Fast.

guggenheim Sat 19-Nov-16 07:22:07

I'm still hopeful that this is the right school for ds. He can be rather , ahem 'challenging' so I expect that his teacher will know lots & lots about Asd by Christmas : )

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now