Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

ASD/Aspergers Bristol - anyone else around?

(6 Posts)
rosalux Mon 14-Nov-16 10:38:38

Hi. I've been lurking for a while as DH and I are pretty convinced that DS1 (who turned 5 in August) has Aspergers (as was). He seemed to manage okay in Reception (although it turns out there were lots of incidents the school didn't tell us about) but over the summer we had daily violent meltdowns and now in Y1 he has already had an internal exclusion. We are seeing an independent ed Psych in early December and have a referral to CCHP next week for what I hope will be the start of the assessment process. The school are doing what they can - calm space, play therapist, social skills work in place of assemblies, etc - but are clearly struggling even though they do have other SEN kids and some with Autism apparently.

DS1is very bright, possibly gifted, and actively enjoys school though he doesn't seem to have any friends as such. TBH if it wasn't for the meltdowns, we probably wouldn't have considered there to be an issue, though looking at his behaviour generally it seems clear he has high levels of anxiety and lots of other ASD traits as well. I just wondered if there was anyone else in the Bristol area with a similar aged child experiencing similar issues. I know Bristol Autism Support do coffee mornings, but they clash with activities I take DS2 (NT as far as e know) to, and he already has to accommodate DS1's requirements in so many ways that I'm loathe to do so any further.

Thanks for listening

rosalux Fri 18-Nov-16 19:55:06

bump

PolterGoose Sat 19-Nov-16 11:57:33

I think you'll have more luck on a local board or on FB. Good luck smile

rosalux Sat 19-Nov-16 18:10:36

Thanks, I will try Local.

gigglingHyena Sat 19-Nov-16 19:27:32

I'm not to far away from there.

www.bristolparentcarers.org.uk/
www.nasbristolbranch.webeden.co.uk/about-nas-bristol-events/4590166691

Incredible kids do a couple of play sessions a week, for the whole family.
incrediblekids.org.uk/

rosalux Sat 19-Nov-16 20:10:24

Thanks, gigglinghyena I'll check out those links

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now