Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Attachment to random objects and arranging?! ASD/OCD related?

(5 Posts)
Blossom4538 Thu 03-Nov-16 18:22:47

Hi all,

So as mentioned previously, my DD is currently under assessment.

I have noticed recently that she will hold onto random things most of day or all afternoon at school eg, stone, piece of tissue, elastic band and the other day, the small twisty lid from her yogurt pouch at lunchtime! She is a little anxious in social situations and selectively mute.

Any experience of this?! She likes to arrange random objects at home too, not intensely and constantly but she will spend a while with for example, a large pebble, wet wipe, coin and elastic band. She will set them up in her room in a certain way. Sometimes they are her "inventions".

Attached are some examples. Bag attached to bed with small toy ladybird inside and band, pebble in bag?!!

I know kids do these things, but as there are many other things and she is under assessment, I was just wondering about it and if any of your little ones do it. DD is only child so no one to compare to apart from cousins, who I don't think did it.

Blossom4538 Thu 03-Nov-16 18:24:26

Forgot to attach pics!

PolterGoose Thu 03-Nov-16 18:38:52

Ds has always kept what other people see as random objects, they're meaningful to him though so I never discouraged it.

Using her imagination to create 'inventions' is lovely smile

Blossom4538 Thu 03-Nov-16 19:07:36

Yes, I never discourage it - we have some unusual bits and bobs around at times!!

claw12 Thu 03-Nov-16 22:35:36

Seems she has invented her own fiddle toys!

Ds has lots of things set up in his room, in a certain order, just the way he likes them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now