Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Films/documentaries about disability we *should* watch

(19 Posts)
PolterGoose Fri 21-Oct-16 18:58:26

I've posted links to the utterly harrowing Silent Minority a few times recently on main board anti-inclusion threads.

It's a really important piece documenting a turning point in the treatment of disabled people.

I also often link the Newsround film My Autism and Me because I think it's perhaps the best documentary on autism ever.

I'm going to try and link other useful media and hope others will too.

PolterGoose Fri 21-Oct-16 19:00:54

A bit dated but worth watching is The Autism Puzzle

PolterGoose Fri 21-Oct-16 19:10:33

The BBC's Disowned and Disabled

Wish I could find part 2.

Friolero Fri 21-Oct-16 20:41:46

Thanks for these - I'll have a look.

zzzzz Fri 21-Oct-16 21:31:38

Brilliant. Thank you. There's a lovely bit of animation on sensory overload that I think played very loud in a dark room on a fresh audience is stunning. It's from the Autism project,

vimeo.com/52193530

youarenotkiddingme Fri 21-Oct-16 22:41:27

We use a clip from clockwork mice when we do training. It's great for getting people to think about good/poor practice.

There's also one about a girl who describes why she switches lights on and off etc.

I'll have to search for them.

youarenotkiddingme Sat 22-Oct-16 07:45:57

I like this

It's Temple Grandin talking about her livestock work and her autism.
I find it quite informative re the ways people with ASD can think and the positive attributes that gives them.

It's interesting when she talks about pattern thinkers - because that's DS. He's on 99th centile for pattern tasks, is talented at music and maths and a very poor reader.

I find her inspirational because she's very much about how to use your brain processes positively.

zzzzz Sat 22-Oct-16 15:11:57

There is of course the Temple Grandin Movie.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_Grandin_(film)

I'm quite interested in the history of care in the U.K. (And elsewhere) if anyone has any great documentaries or films on that.

I found an old American black and white "A Child is waiting" awful and confusing but thought provoking. (Not for the faint hearted as there is a lot of "defective" talk and the core message is institutional care is best).

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Child_Is_Waiting

youarenotkiddingme Sat 22-Oct-16 19:14:02

ive studies the history before zzzzz but not sure what the documentary I watched was called. It was produced post CA of 1989 and was out on vhs!

I've looked a lot into the Warncok report and at disability and medical models of sociology.
Lots of it very thought provoking and some extremely distressing.

PolterGoose Sat 22-Oct-16 19:16:25

Warnock Report is definitely worth reading.

PolterGoose Sat 22-Oct-16 19:30:29

Mental health and asylums BBC's History of the madhouse

zzzzz Sun 23-Oct-16 08:39:58

Would anyone be interested in chatting about some of these? I love hearing all your thoughts and sometimes need talking down or I shuffle around muttering embarrassingly angry thoughts while in Tesco . grinblush

What I might do is watch one and then post in chat and if any of you have seen it/want to yack about it we can do it there with no pressure???

youarenotkiddingme Sun 23-Oct-16 09:15:23

That sounds like a great idea zzzzz

I'm going to try and watch one today.

PickAChew Sun 23-Oct-16 18:57:16

Elle s'Appelle Sabine. I never managed to watch this to the end, but it ties in well with some of the awful past attitudes mentioned in neurotribes.

LegoLady95 Sun 23-Oct-16 19:04:06

The Black Balloon is available on YouTube in chunks. It stars Toni Collette as the mother of two boys, one of whom has severe autism (she also goes on to have a daughter). It's very touching and I identified a lot with her character.

PolterGoose Sun 23-Oct-16 19:05:27

It would be ever so helpful if people could link stuff here or say where it's available.

PermenantLurker Wed 26-Oct-16 19:38:54

This is very off topic, but I'm very impressed with American horror story & the actress who has ds (I don't remember names because of one of my disabilities)

One of the characters she plays has ds, but two of the other 'don't' - in the sense that it is never mentioned as part of her character, so she's just like every other actor in the program playing a role. (& she gets the guy in one of them, over emma roberts character)

I think it's hugely important that she is littlerally being regarded for her talent first and formost before her visable disability.

On another note, I can't remember the name of it but does anyone recall the channel 4 doc on the treatment of people with mh problems in South America? Frightening doesn't cover it

PolterGoose Wed 26-Oct-16 19:46:01

I've not watched AHS but along similar lines in Breaking Bad, Walter Jnr has CP and it's very well done too.

PermenantLurker Wed 26-Oct-16 20:01:09

What the fuck is normal is an excellent read

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now