Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

If you've got older boys struggling with laces and don't want Velcro...

(13 Posts)
PolterGoose Fri 21-Oct-16 14:53:23

Look. Next xmas catalogue has boots, some up to adult size 8, with mock laces and inside zip.

BackforGood Fri 21-Oct-16 17:44:41

[[https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=elastic+shoe+laces+uk&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b&gfe_rd=cr&ei=xUUKWJT6A4HEaJaSlYgM Elastic Shoe laces are good, too. smile

BackforGood Fri 21-Oct-16 17:45:58

oops - try again Elastic Shoe Laces

PolterGoose Fri 21-Oct-16 17:56:08

Elastic laces can work for some children, but many, like my ds, don't have the strength, co-ordination or dexterity to get their foot in a shoe already laced, even with elastic. He'd need the elastic so loose he'd get no support at all. Plus he wears insoles so really needs a shoe which opens wide.

Ineedmorepatience Fri 21-Oct-16 20:31:20

I like the middle pull on ones for me polter off to google smile

Olympiathequeen Sat 29-Oct-16 19:07:46

Magnetic shoelaces are brilliant. I would stick with the more expensive ones. We have them and they are great. zubits.com

zzzzz Sat 29-Oct-16 21:20:54

We have toggles. (From Most sports shops). Zip ups look great though.

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Sat 29-Oct-16 21:24:03

My DD (10) has a similar pair of boots from Clarks (children's range).

DS (12) has started using Hickies in place of laces, little hook together elastics. When we first tried them we left them done up and he couldn't get the shoe on, but now he undoes the first two or three, puts foot in and does them up again.

tartanterror Sun 13-Nov-16 20:04:46

What about these? Just seen them when looking for (more) pens and remembered your post.....
fantasticdyspraxic.co.uk/product/non-tie-shoe-laces-choose-black-or-white/

PolterGoose Sun 13-Nov-16 20:08:52

It's great there are so many options now, unfortunately, for my ds the alternative laces just aren't suitable.

tartanterror Sun 13-Nov-16 21:32:29

We are still on velcro so haven't attempted any of this yet.... what are the pros and cons of the different laces? Advice gratefully received!

PolterGoose Sun 13-Nov-16 21:37:10

Ds is still in Velcro too, he doesn't have the dexterity to do any sort of laces and orthotics complicate everything. I also like the idea of buying something off the peg without having to faff about trying to make it work.

I think the laces are a case of trial and error to find what works best.

youarenotkiddingme Sun 13-Nov-16 22:47:45

They're fab. Ds had some of the Velcro hi tops ones he's just outgrown (the blue ones). He's still happy with Velcro and I like the Velcro ones shown there - they look quite sturdy and supportive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now