Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Is this bullying?

(6 Posts)
Iamthecatsmother Sun 16-Oct-16 09:47:55

Hi, my DS is 12 and has ASD, high functioning. He's just started MS secondary. He's a very anxious, gets tearful very easily. He's very sweet and naive. He is a bright lad.

He's been ok at school but he doesn't tell me much tbh. Yesterday he suddenly came out with this - three other boys have been taking the mickey out of him, things like his underwear (when getting changed for games) his glasses, his likes/obsessions. It's been going on for a few weeks. These kids are seeking him out to tease him. On the surface, I know this is bullying but could it be banter? DS is very literal, very black and white, could he be misinterpreting it? I've already had a run in with his keyworker who has told me I'm interfering so I don't want to go steaming in if DS is over reacting. I'm not very confident myself and I don't want to be seen as a trouble maker or to unwittingly make it worse.

Ineedmorepatience Sun 16-Oct-16 10:10:04

This is off the Gov.uk page

4. Bullying - a definition
There is no legal definition of bullying.

However, it’s usually defined as behaviour that is:

repeated
intended to hurt someone either physically or emotionally
often aimed at certain groups, eg because of race, religion, gender or sexual orientation
It takes many forms and can include:

physical assault
teasing
making threats
name calling
cyberbullying - bullying via mobile phone or online (eg email, social networks and instant messenger)
Your school should have its own definition of bullying.

Ineedmorepatience Sun 16-Oct-16 10:11:57

I think anything that is done by one or more people that is deliberately intended to upset them and is happening repeatedly is bullying!

Email the head of year and arrange a meeting!

PolterGoose Sun 16-Oct-16 10:16:55

Yes, it's bullying. I tend to email ds's tutor with things like this and it is always stamped on.

Poor ds sad

Iamthecatsmother Sun 16-Oct-16 10:26:32

I thought so, others are telling me I'm making a big 'thing' out of it! Thank you for your replies smile

zzzzz Sun 16-Oct-16 17:58:45

Email is excellent for this. I tend to put it as can they support him dealing with it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now