Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Lougle here - just popping in with an update

(25 Posts)
lougle Thu 13-Oct-16 11:15:34

I hope everyone is plodding on ☺

I just thought I'd say that after 3 schools, plus home education, finally in year 5 the third school's HT has said that she thinks DD2 will struggle in secondary school and has 'aspergers traits'. She thinks it's worth pursuing assessment and that we'll have to carefully plan transition to secondary school. She's also agreed to put it in writing if necessary shock.

This has in part been prompted by a series of homework fails where DD2 has taken the teacher completely literally (e.g. 'you can write as much as you want' = one sentence.) and has been completely unable to do the fiction homeworks which involve imagining the response or views of book characters.

Also, the mixed year system with 2 years in each class means that she has moved class for the first time since starting there and that has revealed the cracks.

FrayedHem Thu 13-Oct-16 13:56:11

Great news grin Oh the difference a supportive Head makes! It's awful it's taken this long, hopefully now DD2 will start getting the support in school she needs.

(I used to post here more when my DS1 and your DD1 were getting statemented for school (I was polareyes/notfromaroundhere then).)

PolterGoose Thu 13-Oct-16 15:18:54

I often wonder how you and the girls are lougle smile

Good luck this time flowers

'you can write as much as you want' = one sentence
grin
That is exactly what ds does. And if there is a minimum word limit he will spend more time working out what to write so he meets the exact word count than he'd have spent writing a bit more in the first place hmm

Oblomov16 Thu 13-Oct-16 16:00:05

Love the one sentence. Oh the difference of having a supportive school. Good luck Lougle.

zzzzz Thu 13-Oct-16 17:23:57

lougle how lovely to hear from you smile

Transition is stressful but I think in many ways secondary can be easier for lots of our kids. I hope it goes well. Are we going to see more of you around here? We have missed your brilliant posts.

lougle Thu 13-Oct-16 21:52:20

It's nice to see you all. I lost SN from active (must get it back) and couldn't keep up with the pub...but I should make more effort!

ouryve Thu 13-Oct-16 21:58:52

Haha! DS1 would be quite sure that he doesn't want to write anything at all! It's taken his English teacher a year to get anything assessable at all out of him!

HT sounds wonderful - great to have someone who gets it and has a desire to be pro-active and help to make things better for your DD, rather than for them.

zzzzz Thu 13-Oct-16 23:41:11

grin I don't go to the pub that much anymore either. It goes to fast for me now and I get embarrassed at the number of times I've tried to re-introduce myself their blush I think RL is just too busy to explain too really.

NoHaudinMaWheest Fri 14-Oct-16 21:25:13

lougle how nice to see you. It is good that the HT is recognising the issues and will provide useful info for the assessment. I hope your waiting lists aren't too long.

lougle Fri 14-Oct-16 22:55:09

Thanks for the warm welcome 😊

Ineedmorepatience Sat 15-Oct-16 15:25:36

Hi Lougle great to hear from you, good news that the head teacher is supporting you and hope you manage to get an assessment before secondary!

Dd3 is now home ed after a failed transition into secondary but we have found our home for now among the home ed community smile

youarenotkiddingme Sat 15-Oct-16 17:57:16

Adds my joy at seeing you too. Glad you are finally getting somewhere and having your voice heard. A supportive head is certainly worth their weight in gold.

Also laughed at the literal homework.

Ds is the same. He's year 8 and "make notes on the following 'what happened during X time, why did it happen etc'" will literally result in a few words like "WW2, hitler did.... Etc"

signandsingcarols Sat 15-Oct-16 22:07:34

another chuffed to hear from you... grin glad the HT seems switched on,
we have been HE for a year now and love it...

lougle Sat 15-Oct-16 22:16:32

I don't think we could HE again....DD2 just completely about avoids anything that is vaguely stretching. It was a useful period when we did it and she really needed to regroup and destress, but I don't think she would do anything but minecraft and, well....minecraft.

zzzzz Sat 15-Oct-16 22:36:10

HE was brilliant for us while we did it and has definitely benefited both ds and the family enormously (because his speech and self esteem are so much better) but I would be hard pushed to do it again. Ds has moved on from that stage just as NT children often are "ready for school" he is now "all about the school experience" smile

MeirAya Wed 19-Oct-16 00:30:14

What schools are round your way, lougle? Ds1 has ended up at a small mainstream academy secondary. No EHCP (despite my efforts 😉) but it's like a medium size primary so he doesn't really need one atm.

MeirAya Wed 19-Oct-16 00:31:05

(It's maria btw)

lougle Thu 20-Oct-16 14:43:17

We have catchment secondary with 1200 children, then 3 other surrounding secondaries with 1200, 1200 and 1400 children.

There is a small Christian private school locally that several of our church families have their children in, but we couldn't afford it and it would take out of the state system in terms of help.

MeirAya Sat 22-Oct-16 00:18:15

The 4 big schools... Any of them known to be good with anxious ASD kids? Or does the Christian school feel like it would be better, despite lacking the often mythical decent SEN department and LA support services

(I know you don't think she needs/ would get an EHCP... but if there aren't any other options)

lougle Sat 22-Oct-16 08:50:53

Our catchment school is supposed to be getting really good with SEN. I think they have 12 children with Downs Syndrome in this year's year 7 alone. They have 'fast start' groups for kids who are behind in core subjects. But it won't make the school smaller.

MeirAya Sat 22-Oct-16 08:55:56

That might mean they could be good enough to give you a warts-and-all look round, a proper discussion, and a truthful opinion

claw12 Tue 25-Oct-16 10:44:01

Good to see you louge smile

lougle Tue 25-Oct-16 13:58:05

Hi Claw smile

claw12 Tue 25-Oct-16 23:00:17

So many 'old' faces on this thread...I was wondering if many were still about!

Best wishes to you and your girls lougle x

Moon05 Wed 26-Oct-16 16:40:31

It sounds great that the head is looking for an assessment for your DD and is so proactive. Whilst my DD coped well at primary I am so glad we had her diagnosis at the start of year 6, as having just started at secondary she has fallen apart. She is currently part time (and still missing some days) but the school are being amazing and working towards an ECHP. Sorry for waffling just wanted to say that the diagnosis at least meant we were in the system when it all became too much for her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now