Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Time off work

(11 Posts)
CheeseToasty Mon 03-Oct-16 17:01:56

When I take time of work for appointments for DS e.g hospital or annual review meetings does the time I have off have to be unpaid leave even if he recieves DLA

PolterGoose Mon 03-Oct-16 17:09:20

I've always taken annual leave/TOIL for appointments which I couldn't re-arrange to my non-working days. It's a PITA. What's really annoying is how inflexible the appointments are: "Clinic is X day and we can't see you outside clinic" pisses me off. Schools have always been flexible though.

CheeseToasty Mon 03-Oct-16 17:14:24

Thanks I work in school so awkward. Work asked me to make appointments outside school time but ds's school appointments are IN school time.

MayhemandMadness01 Mon 03-Oct-16 17:14:52

As I understand it, an employer should make reasonable adjustments to allow you to attend these appointments. Allowing unpaid leave is a reasonable adjustment to your working hours. Schools set the review dates in September, parents dont always get notified until closer to the date. Most schools IME can be flexible if you give them as much notice as possible. Health appts are much less flexible though.

PolterGoose Mon 03-Oct-16 17:15:36

Most of the reviews and stuff for ds at primary school were after school. Would that be possible?

PolterGoose Mon 03-Oct-16 17:16:09

Is there another parent so you can share the load?

MayhemandMadness01 Mon 03-Oct-16 17:17:11

Argh X posts. I can see your predicament now.

CheeseToasty Mon 03-Oct-16 17:27:11

School wont do appointments after school. His dad can do it but as I work this is my only contact with school so important to me. Work do let me off but I am made feel guilty. I just wondered as Disabled whether I got more allowance?

CheeseToasty Mon 03-Oct-16 18:05:48

I do have a right to unpaid leave at least? Work being difficult with upcoming appointment.

PolterGoose Mon 03-Oct-16 18:25:55

You can use parental leave in 'blocks' of one day as a parent to a disabled child (as opposed to 'blocks' of one week for a non-disabled child) but it is still unpaid.

Are you in a union? Have you checked your employee handbook eg for what counts as compassionate leave or whether there's any scope for paid carer's leave?

You should also check the gov.uk or ACAS or CAB websites for clarification.

CheeseToasty Mon 03-Oct-16 18:42:39

Thanks I will check but it is not on the back of form I filled in. I sent an email expressing how important it is to me to have time off. I am worried that it comes across as rude but I am really upset that such a big deal has been made out of asking for 3 hours off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now