Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

SN children's aches and pains

(4 Posts)
Claennister Sat 24-Sep-16 19:19:38

How do people cope with children whose conditions come with frequent bouts of pain? If DD sustains a particularly nasty injury or is crying her eyes out, it's easy enough to stop and give comfort every time as it's infrequent. But there's also a lot of niggles, pops, feeling sick, headaches and so on which are part of her daily life. Much as I'd love to scoop her up and cuddle her for every one, there's a need to learn to keep going. She'll have to fight through some pain to get on with her life, and if she's done something that's not bad enough to merit staying home from school then the clock marches on, and there's no time to stop and wallow in feeling sick when the bell is going to go. I feel horrible brushing her aside when she's telling me about sore legs and sickness and tummy aches and bad hips but there isn't anything i can do and life goes on. I have painful conditions myself (looking ever more likely she has the same one, it is genetic and dominant) and I know I can't stop every time. But there are times that I do stop and rest, and it's all too much, and I'm really struggling know where the line goes for her. She's very sensitive, a small cut on her finger is the end of humanity itself, so it's very hard to judge when she's really reached her limit. Interested in how others approach this one.

(Sorry, post rash, rare moment of calm!)

PolterGoose Sat 24-Sep-16 20:06:22

Ds has strange pain reactions, which is not uncommon for autistic people. He's almost oblivious to 'big pain' but presents with what appears to be a massive over reaction to tiny (invisible?!) injuries. I comfort according to how he presents, and we talk about it when he's feeling ok. We've done a lot of scaling activities to try to help him do less catastrophising, eg have a list of injuries and ailments and place them on a scale of 0-10.

zzzzz Sat 24-Sep-16 22:25:31

I live with chronic pain so I do understand that it is necessary to get on with it, but I think that's for the person inside to say not those outside. As you will know being in the same situation it isn't how much it is hurting but how you have slept, how much you must do that day and how robust you are feeling.

One of my children has a very inflated reaction to minor ailments/injuries despite being awesomely brave about long and uncomfortable treatment for a more major difficulty. I've just embraced it and empowered her. She has her own medical kit (from boots) and we refer to her as the family medic. She is called for all minor injuries and "treats" with germolene/plasters/bandages and makes recommendations for calpol/rest etc. It seems to have helped. She manages her pain better as her focus is on "what is good practice" for whatever ailment smile

gigglingHyena Tue 27-Sep-16 13:06:22

I've got another who's reaction to a tiny cut on his finger is quite dramatic, yet won't tell us about his hip pain till he's unable to walk.

As our biggest issue is getting him to tell us, we do try to do something each time he mentions pain, even if it's just checking what number on his pain scale he is.

His OT has recommended this website of pain management strategies for children. Can't say he's engaged with it yet, but perhaps you'll have more luck www.painretreat.net/

I like ZZZZZ's idea of the child becoming the family medic, might have to experiment with that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now