Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Sensory Course

(9 Posts)
Discobabe Wed 21-Sep-16 17:10:44

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has completed a sensory course? We've been offered one for our sons sensory issues so I'm just wondering what it will entail really. Just for us parents not my ds. Thanks

PolterGoose Wed 21-Sep-16 17:32:33

I did one with our local OT team, a morning a week for 3 weeks and it was brilliant. Well worth doing.

Discobabe Wed 21-Sep-16 17:40:44

What did it entail Polter if you don't mind me asking?

PolterGoose Wed 21-Sep-16 18:27:15

It was aimed at parents and school staff. Covered sensory development, regulation, integration. Went through the senses, problems and things to try. We did a practical where we had to eat a sugary doughnut without licking our lips to show how sensory irritations can feel and to demonstrate that overwhelming need to address it but how hard it is to resist (I failed as I'm autistic and hyper-sensitive to light touch!). Looked at things like sleep and concentration.

I've not heard of other areas offering it so am wondering if you're in the same county as me smile

Discobabe Wed 21-Sep-16 18:54:40

Thanks. I'm in Suffolk.

PolterGoose Wed 21-Sep-16 19:46:24

Other side of country to me! Glad to hear other areas offer it smile

Hope it's useful.

youarenotkiddingme Wed 21-Sep-16 20:26:40

Dis and I did the alert programme which ran for 7 weeks (1 hour sessions).

They talked about sensory regulation, senses and what can happen when you don't regulate them. Then the DCs did some sensory things, got given sensory inputs and their reactions were recorded.

It helps discover what type of sensory difficulties a child has as you can be sensory seeking or sensory defensive (or combination of the 2!)

The good news is most of the things used can be bought on Amazon and for SN stuff are not that expensive!

PolterGoose Wed 21-Sep-16 20:50:19

We did Alert too, though our's was 2 hours a week for 6 weeks confused

Alert was very practical and child focused whereas I would assume a sensory course for parents would be a bit more theory.

Discobabe Wed 21-Sep-16 21:59:33

Apparently there isn't the funding for courses with kids yet. No funding for any OT either. This course is an improvement on our referral 6 years ago when we got zilch though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now