Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Year 1 DD v poor reading and writing - good verbally and socially - advice?

(7 Posts)
threelittlerapscallions Wed 21-Sep-16 10:50:53

DD is in year 1 and cannot read or write her name clearly. Verbally she asks intelligent questions, is a little shy with adults but chats away to friends her own age and has many friends.

I have requested meeting with Year 1 teacher and Senco but before the meeting wondered if anyone elses child had had similar problems and what happened.. She had a difficult start to school and was home educated for a term while we changed schools but now is happy at her new school and has been there since last Easter. I had very little success teaching her letters and sounds when I was home educating and I am a teacher! She is also slow with maths can count but cannot do number bonds ie adding and subtracting and most of her friends can. Again verbally she shows good understanding of ideas and the world around her. Any advice as to what I should ask in the meeting and the next step from here?

zzzzz Wed 21-Sep-16 11:02:01

I would ask them to describe what they are seeing and see if it is in line with your thoughts.

Generally my advice is to talk less but listen hard. You will learn an enormous amount in this way and also avoid leading them to your own conclusions.

What do you think is her difficulty?

Msqueen33 Wed 21-Sep-16 13:48:54

Is she not interested? Can't remember the letters? Or could it be dyslexia? My dd asd and adhd struggles with maths and isn't hugely into reading and writing. I'd listen to the school. As they see her in the setting and what they think the problem is and next steps.

threelittlerapscallions Wed 21-Sep-16 22:52:14

She says Year 1 is 'too much sitting down' and the writing is 'boring'. She is well behaved at school. I will see what they say. Personally I think she is a late developer and a bit resistant to doing something she finds hard but the school said they were going to call me in for a meeting if I hadn't got there first so I will see what they say.

VioletBam Thu 22-Sep-16 08:14:07

My DD is like this OP. Well...she was in year one and also in year 2. She's 8 now and we've moved to another country which takes things much slower....as in kids don't begin "proper" school until the age of 6 and then reading isn't really taken seriously until 7....same with writing.

So we've been here for a year and she's just this term begun to read fluently and write legibly.

She was and is very, very articulate and imaginative....very sociable and popular...loves playing with her friends, adores art, gymnastics and recently has begun to actually enjoy writing thanks to there being no pressure on her.

Her school in England was worried about her and she did have an IEP but made only a bit of progress.

Her new school here has been very relaxed, not worried at all and sure enough she's done well all of a sudden.

I

threelittlerapscallions Thu 22-Sep-16 10:52:10

Thanks Violet that is good to hear!! Personally I think all schools should be like nurseries until about age 7 - what country are you in?

VioletBam Thu 22-Sep-16 12:31:02

Australia Scallion I honestly do think some children just don't warm up as quickly as others.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now