Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Anxiety and sleep

(6 Posts)
nikkinackienoo Tue 20-Sep-16 16:45:34

Hope I'm posting in the right place.
Ds9 is currently waiting for paediatric appointment following on from concerns from school nurse that he is on the spectrum. We've been waiting a year now and think we are looking at appointed sometime in November.
I won't go into all his issues but the main one is sleep, it takes him hours to fall asleep and every little noise makes him shout out asking me what it is etc.. It's normally gone 11pm before he finally falls asleep. He's just so anxious about every noise, he's convinced it's burglars,
Am best just to hang on for appointment or should go to GP to see if there's anything they can do in the meantime.

user1471537877 Tue 20-Sep-16 17:55:12

Sounds like he would benefit from melatonin which is only prescribable by the paediatrician

You could try ringing the secretary and explain the problem, they can let the paed know who may bring forward the appointment

PolterGoose Tue 20-Sep-16 18:37:15

It's worth trying anxiety and sleep techniques before melatonin. Cerebra have a fab sleep service. Dawn Huebner's CBT workbooks 'What to do when you dread your bed' and 'What to do when you worry too much' might be worth a shot. I would also try either a fan or white noise machine to help block noises.

nikkinackienoo Tue 20-Sep-16 20:52:41

Thank you.
Will ring them d will also look into the sleep service.
He's already done the worry book with the school nurse and things did calm down (he still didn't go to sleep though) but the anxiety seems to have come back

PolterGoose Tue 20-Sep-16 21:40:27

Good luck.

The worry book isn't just a 'do the book' and that's it though, you have to do it with him and follow it through together. A lot of what we have to do as parents is constant supporting and use of the strategies and techniques until, hopefully, our children can use them more independently. There's no quick fix.

nikkinackienoo Tue 20-Sep-16 22:03:50

Polter thank you so much been looking at the Cerebra website and it seems really helpful. I've downloaded a couple of their pdf files which I will read through now and also filled in the sleep form.
We did keep using the book but he calmed down a lot so it kind of went by the way side, so I understand what you mean, I shouldn't have just left it,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now