Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Cons Paed appointment tomorrow - ASD

(11 Posts)
Blossom4538 Tue 20-Sep-16 13:33:55

I'm so anxious about it! It's an hours appointment. She was referred by Ed Psych. She's been making progress but there are still obvious problems. The thing is, a condition she struggles with mimics ASD?! Bit stressed about how things are going to proceed. Feel really worried about tomorrow :-(

zzzzz Tue 20-Sep-16 14:23:27

Oh don't! Ours has been such a help, thoughtful and helpful. Have huge cup of tea and remember they are just going to tell you what they think.brew

Blossom4538 Tue 20-Sep-16 19:44:59

Thank you. Feeling so stressed about it!! Worried I'll forget to mention something important as there's just so much!

Today, my DD was visibly uncomfortable when her lovely friends came in for a (long!) group hug after school. She afterwards told me she doesn't like it and it's too tight. Apparently she feels the same when I cuddle her. She is visibly awkward when grandparents cuddle her. Does this sounds like an ASD trait or can it be Sensory related or social anxiety? She struggles with anxiety and social emotional problems.

zzzzz Tue 20-Sep-16 20:21:12

It can just be you're not a touchy-feely personsmile

Blossom4538 Wed 21-Sep-16 16:41:24

We had our appointment today and she has been referred for a Multi Agency Assessment, starting with salt assessment. We did pick up on some traits the children had in the waiting room (mostly a little more severe in nature though) that our little girl mildly presents at times. She mentioned a poss IEP at school which she has not got currently, but did have at pre-school.

How long usually before the next assessment takes place. We, along with others have waited months/years for community Paed, ed psych and cons Paed appointment.

zzzzz Wed 21-Sep-16 18:01:58

About 6 months but you can just phone and ask them smile

Blossom4538 Wed 21-Sep-16 18:17:08

6 months! Will give them a call - don't always think to ask these things at the time.

zzzzz Wed 21-Sep-16 19:23:35

None of us do. brew. You are doing fine. Parenting is more important than any of the dx stuff.

Blossom4538 Wed 21-Sep-16 20:19:54

Thank you smile

youarenotkiddingme Wed 21-Sep-16 20:22:27

IT can be a long journey. But you dint have to wait for reports and confirmation to erase arch and implement stuff.

Worth looking at neuro developmental stuff and techniques that could work. Try them out! Then discuss with senco things you find work and find a way to get them into school.

I know a lot of us have already had ASD type support long before we get the official diagnosis - that's the way it should be - needs led.

Blossom4538 Fri 23-Sep-16 20:49:32

Thank you, you're right. School have been great and she's coping. She didn't meet many of her early learning goals in reception. She didn't talk for most of the year but made progress towards the end. No IEP in place (had one at preschool) or EHCP. The have been v helpful to support her with anxieties though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now