Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Mainstream Secondary School & Phys Ed

(10 Posts)
FrayedHem Thu 15-Sep-16 12:40:37

DS1 is in Yr6, statemented transfer to ECHP underway. Dx ASD
He is quite able academically (although doesn't produce work to what he is capable of) but my main concern on transition to a Mainstream Secondary is PE.

Has anyone managed to get any concessions for their child? He is ridiculously slow at getting changed, won't wear shorts or trainers and loathes team sports, especially things like football. He isn't the most coordinated child and sports day was a disaster. Being singled out and loud encouragement get him unbelievably distressed.

I've tried asking the local mainstream schools, but they wouldn't be pinned down to anything re PE just babbling on about other areas they offer support. I got the impression he would be expected to suck it up. Though it may only be a small part of the timetable, I know it could escalate DS1's anxiety greatly which will impact on his whole mindset towards school.

Any advice or experience of a similar child would be appreciated.

PolterGoose Thu 15-Sep-16 14:12:53

I was really worried about PE too, especially remembering how awful it was for me in the 70s/80s. Thankfully ds's school is very flexible, they 'set' for PE, so he's in a less sporty mixed sex group which works well. There is a TA assigned to his PE group and he is allowed to withdraw if he needs to. It's all very low key but the whole school has that sort of ethos, it's very caring and flexible. I have heard of schools allowing kids to do PE in uniform, to sit out PE or to do PE in smaller groups with less emphasis on traditional PE stuff.

Ineedmorepatience Thu 15-Sep-16 19:51:56

PE was just about the only thing that worked for Dd3 and she left primary hating it.

In her massive mainstream they set for PE and the bottom set was perfect for her it was full of quirky misfits and she loved it!

They must have been a challenge for the teacher but he did brilliantly even adapting dance to learning the Hakka which went down a storm.

The only problem Dd3 had was with swimming because her hair dripped down her blazer and soaked through her clothes despite wearing a swimming hat and it caused her to refuse to do it again, although she was pretty much in full on school refusal by then anyway.

FrayedHem Thu 15-Sep-16 20:25:37

Thanks for your replies it's good to hear some schools are understanding and PE has moved on from when I was at school.

The only real mainstream option used the phrase "parental anxiety" and recounted a story of a mother who "got firm" with her child's sensory issues which got my back up nicely. I managed not to respond with "teaching inadequacies" being the main cause of DS1 primary move, but I don't feel overly hopeful.

I'm really unsure if ms secondary is going to work out. DS1 very much needs support but is very reluctant to accept it and being embarrassed is His Thing atm. I offered him a carrier bag this morning as he was complaining his drinks bottle was too cold. His reaction was quite something! shockhmmblushangrysad about covers it.

I'll ask about PE sets and if they will accept him in joggers rather than shorts and see where that leads.

Ineedmorepatience Thu 15-Sep-16 23:06:09

Yep that would have got my back up too!

Good luck 💐

Ineedmorepatience Thu 15-Sep-16 23:09:30

Polter and I have Dc's who started secondary at the same time, we both had concerns about it! One of our children is thriving and is well supported, the other lasted 2 terms and is now home ed!

It shows that everyone has a different experience!

FrayedHem Fri 16-Sep-16 09:19:52

Thanks Ineed. Does the LA support the Home Ed in anyway?

NoHaudinMaWheest Fri 16-Sep-16 13:36:47

Ds couldn't change for PE at all due to OCD issues. He did it in his uniform, just taking his tie off and changing to plimsols. His school also set for PE and he started in the 'nuture' group which was for those like him who struggled for ASD/ anxiety reasons and those who struggled due to physical disability. After a term he moved to the less sporty mainstream group but that was only because he was ready to.
The uniform stuff really should be covered under reasonable adjustments without question.
Asking questions about this sort of stuff does give you a good feel about what the school is like as a whole.

Ineedmorepatience Fri 16-Sep-16 14:28:37

The funding thing is a bit of a minefield to be honest, in theory no if you deregister your child from school your are electively home edding but with EHCP's comes the possiblity of personal budgets which a fes home ed families are now accessing.

I think they are having to prove that there is no suitable provision for their child and then they can get EOTAS (educated other than at school) named on the EHCP and then they can ask for a personal budget to pay for tutors and therapies.

My guess is that this would mean that the LA would be more involved.

FrayedHem Sat 17-Sep-16 22:30:22

Thanks NoHaudin it's good to hear another positive experience. Our only real option is quite a sporty school and the SENCo's comments make me think they are not quite where they should be wrt reasonable adjustments. Hopefully I'll get to speak to the PE dept directly at open day and that response should tell me enough.

Thanks Ineed I floated the idea of LA tutor +home ed which was apparently akin to asking for a pet unicorn. I have said if we home ed then I will get the statement/EHCP ceased if there's no meaningful input from them. I'm very wary of the trying it and seeing how it turns out approach as DS1 is a terrible bottler and hates school/home crossover.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now