Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Need help understanding the SALT report please

(4 Posts)
Mycatsabastard Mon 05-Sep-16 19:11:02

DD10 had her assessment and I've got a copy of the report.

But I'm not sure what the figures mean. Can anyone help me understand this please?

*Score explanations - A standard score of 10 (or 100) is the absolute average for any given age. Scores between 7 and 13 (or 95 to 115) are within the average range. Scores of 6 (or84) and less are below average.
A percentile score is the percentage of children in a similar age who would gain the same scores or less

Concepts and following directions - Standard score 5 Percentile Score 2 Below average - This score reflects DDs difficulty in carrying out instruction with more than 2 pieces of information as highlighted by her mum. As DD is making good academic progress in school it is likely she is well supported in this area. *

So I read from that that DD is below average in following directions. Which I knew.

The bit I'm struggling with mostly is this section

*Explaining inferences
Raw Score 13
Standard Score 43
Percentile Rank 13

Determining causes
Raw score 12
Standard score 45
Percentile rank 13

Negative why questions
Raw score 8
standard score 31
percentile rank 1

Determining solutions
raw score 13
standard score 43
percentile 29

avoiding problems
raw score 13
standard score 47
percentile score 23

total test
raw 59
standard 40
percentile 4*

It's an 8 page report which concludes that DD shows a lot of traits of ASD but need to wait for a paed appointment (next April) to see if they will diagnose. In the meantime I've copied the report for school as DD has a new teacher and all this happened over the summer so hope that they will continue to help her with some coping strategies this year.

I feel like I'm in a world I don't understand at the moment. I've had to start a folder for DD's stuff. This is so new yet I've lived with her like this for her whole life. I've just adapted how I've dealt with her compared to how I dealt with her sister.

I have completed a 1 to 1 Early Years course and I have the report back from there which basically says I've been naturally doing what they'd suggest anyway. Things like preparing her for things in the future, lots of visual aids and lots of information she can access if she's worried etc.

I can't believe I have to wait another 7 months for the next appointment.

Tortoisecharlie Tue 06-Sep-16 21:54:45

Do you know what the name of the test used was?

Tortoisecharlie Tue 06-Sep-16 21:57:14

I'd go back and ask the SLT to explain, but possible percentile rank is where, compared to the average population at that age, your child sits. E.g. If it's for language for a 6 year old child, the result 5 percentile would mean that the 6 year old was in the lowest 5% of comparable 6 year olds for language.

Mycatsabastard Wed 07-Sep-16 22:08:41

It was a Clinical Evaluation of Language Fundamentals (celf) 4.

I will try and contact SALT but they are phenomenally busy so not sure how quick they will get back to me. Mind you DD's next appointment is in April with paediatrics.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now