Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Help and advice with nearly 3 year old demanding touch

(3 Posts)
Amithenormalone Fri 26-Aug-16 14:42:34

I have a little boy who's 3 in October currently under assessments for Asd and sensory processing disorder. I am struggling with his demand of wanting to be constantly touching skin. He hates people to touch him but constantly wants to touch others he rubs any bare skin he can get to. He also nips tries to grab your hands to stick your fingers in his eyes and ears plays with your ears and lies on you and pins your down. I havenjoy other children and this is really starting to become a problem. I have tried to give him replacements with blankets different textures comforters and squishy balks but none seems to be adequate for him.

zzzzz Fri 26-Aug-16 19:35:12

If you want to replace the sensation a blanket is NOTHING like stroking/pressing skin.

You can also try replacing with other sensations. Ds was relieved by pushing his hands into sand or water. So a tub of sand or a sink full of water with something in it every so often allowed him some peace from other stims.

Start trying to find things that will work in school/church/grandparents houses. You don't always have to explain why to other people, just build the relief into his day.

Much of the more fatiguing parts of ASD can be massively reduced by really careful management.

Msqueen33 Sat 27-Aug-16 19:07:13

I have one of those. She's three. She always after my fingers to bite, pull at etc. Drives me absolutely crazy. She had a dummy and that's when it started when we took it away. She use to chew that and sensory chews don't work. No advice other than attempting to replace it, distract and wait for the phase to pass.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now