Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

ASD: DS says he likes being alone

(4 Posts)
Imaginosity Thu 18-Aug-16 15:03:32

DS1 has high functioning autism.

When I ask him what he did at his summer camp he tells me he played alone. He seems very happy about this. He does drift off a lot but joins in provided the other children are doing something of particular interest to him.

It's like he switches off and on. If he's disinterested then he drifts off and seems in another world. If it's something he's interested in then it's like a light comes on and he's interactive and engaged.

He seems to hit it off with particular children- one boy with ASD especially who seemed to have the exact same interests as him and was happy to spend ages playing the imaginative games DS likes.

DS1 also engages very well with DS2. They interact constantly and play games, and fight and bicker too.

I just hope as DS gets older he makes a small group of likeminded friends. I know he's happy being alone but I don't like to think of him being vulnerable or feeling left out. He'll be going to a secondary school with about 200 people in his year so I hope there might be a few children he might connect with.

He's just turned 7.

PolterGoose Thu 18-Aug-16 15:43:56

He sounds happy and fairly self-aware and able to regulate his social interaction. That's a good thing.

My ds had no interest in having friends properly until the end of Y7. Now he's part of a big group who hang out together at school. He has no interest in seeing them away from school but that's what suits him. It's fine.

Friendships and social interaction come in all manner of types.

Jasonandyawegunorts Thu 18-Aug-16 19:52:43

Sounds like he's a very happy boy. He's not being left out, he's choosing to be alone, it's a big difference.

zzzzz Thu 18-Aug-16 20:57:14

Sounds fine. I don't have autism and like being alone. I find it soothing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now