Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Section A EHCP

(6 Posts)
yippeekiyay2 Fri 05-Aug-16 20:13:12

Hi all, this is a fairly basic question I imagine in comparison to the more complex difficulties on the ehcp thread, just wanted a bit of advice as baby brain is making it hard to be as on the ball I usually try to be!! I have to send the section A info off asap. My dd is 7 so I discussed the questions with her and have included her responses as best I can, but some of them probably miss the point s bit and some, like the health section, she didn't really want to talk about at all. What do you put in these circumstances? It's all quite basic because of her age and her concerns are all about what's bothering her At that moment in time...will this be ok do you think? Obviously we can give a bit more in the parental bit. Is this section that important to what happens with the rest of the draft? Thanks

SisterViktorine Fri 05-Aug-16 20:45:38

Take care because I have EHCPs where what the child has said has gone in verbatim.

I have one where the question is 'what do people like and admire about me' and it says 'I can't do anything and nobody likes me'.

Criminal that it was thought appropriate to put that in.

yippeekiyay2 Sun 07-Aug-16 19:36:43

Thanks I am struggling with what to put where she hasn't really commented or didn't want to. Hoping this part doesn't really have too much impact on the rest!

vjg13 Mon 08-Aug-16 06:56:08

I wrote section A to include all the relevant information from my daughter's perspective and from ours and made it clear that it wasn't quoting directly from her.

The EHC plan is a legal document and I wanted my daughter's to read as such. Having said that, section A is not enforceable so although you can include as much detail and as many aspirations as you would like the sections for needs and especially provision are the important ones.

yippeekiyay2 Mon 08-Aug-16 16:00:47

Thanks vjg I have tried to do the same and explained where she has said things to me and then added bits that we think. It is difficult as I don't want to miss anything important but as you say there will be other sections that are more important

PassionateMum Tue 09-Aug-16 11:19:23

Only Section B, F and I of an EHC plan are legal binding on an LA's education team. Section A has no legal status. I would suggest that you keep it short and concise. Your views and your child's if they are able to communicate them and you feel they truthfully reflect their views.

Otherwise. Spend you precious time on getting Section B to describe each and every one of their needs and Section F to specify a provision to support each of those needs. No woolly words such as "access too", "regular", "opportunities for". All mean diddly swat in terms of who has to do what, when and where.

I am sorry but my experience across the country is that Section A really is not taken into account seriously by anyone.

Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now