Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

PolterBoy has had another fab year :-)

(39 Posts)
PolterGoose Wed 20-Jul-16 08:17:51

Anyone who's been around a while will know how awful things were when ds was at primary, and that we appeared to have landed on our feet with secondary. Y7 was much better than expected but the wonderful SENCO (who had gone above and beyond to support ds's transition and throughout Y7) left at the end of ds's first year, leaving me quite worried for the future.

Luckily the new SENCO has carried on where old one left off, ds still gets a considerable amount of support and Y8 has been a great success.

Ds refuses to engage with the reward scheme as he has an ideological aversion to 'ranking people' and this has affected his effort 'scores' a tad! He's maintained a solid group of friends throughout the year and has met or exceeded all his academic subjects. He only got 3 demerits this whole year, the last was 6 months ago, which has been quite remarkable.

The change in his anxiety has been remarkable, no longer am I dreading home time, hoping we can make it home before he explodes, most days he loiters with his friends before meandering up the road to the car, and actually wants to tell me about his day. He gets very angry at injustice but he usually has a rant and moves on. Very different to the child who could hold a grudge for months and years!

It is incredible how different it is having a supportive pro-active school who care smile

PolterGoose Wed 20-Jul-16 08:18:52

Too many superlatives, but you get the idea grin

TheSecondOfHerName Wed 20-Jul-16 08:21:07

That's great news; well done him! 🏆

zzzzz Wed 20-Jul-16 08:27:18

smile. We are limping to the end of year. So long and hot and the children are exhausted (as am I).
How lovely to hear about your charming chap polt. You should BOTH be very proud of yourselves.

6 more hours!

Jasonandyawegunorts Wed 20-Jul-16 08:28:07

starIt's so nice hearing that everything is still going okay for himstar

I remember when the first good SENco you had left and you were worried things were going to slide, but the school have kept up their standard.

PolterGoose Wed 20-Jul-16 08:43:28

Thanks folks.

I forgot to say that he also got invited to 2 awards ceremonies to collect awards, but refused to go because of aforementioned hatred of 'ranking people'.

They really have Jason, the teaching staff and the SEN team have been incredible.

Roll on the end for your lot zzzzz

Marshmallow09er Wed 20-Jul-16 09:43:17

grin this is so lovely to hear polter

It genuinely helps through the slightly darker, molasses times with school to know there absolutely can be light at the end of the tunnel

Sparkle41 Wed 20-Jul-16 11:56:58

Thank you for posting, really great to hear your son is doing so well. It really helps those of us like myself (ASD 4 year old starting reception in Sep) at the start of the school journey and frankly terrified as to how he will manage.

PolterGoose Wed 20-Jul-16 12:23:55

I've posted it before but my biggest regret is that I didn't move him from his primary school. Every time things reached crisis, the school would finally respond, it would get better and then support would drop and we'd hit crisis again and round and round we went. He never even needed much, and most of the support he needed was to counteract their lack of flexibility.

What I've learned is that a good school will do whatever is needed to support a child, it will not be a fight, if they don't know what to do they'll ask you or call in help, if they can't afford to provide support they'll apply for funding, they will work collaboratively.

BuffySENsational Wed 20-Jul-16 13:12:02

I've been following your story polter and others and I am really pleased for you and polterboy before we moved we had support from everyone and as I was oblivious to the whole process it came as a shock to be in an LA where everyone is against us. This gives me hope that if I can get my ds1 returned to his school still named on his statement we might find ourselves where you are after a year smile it's great when school get it, support the dc and work with the parents instead of against them. Hope you guys have a fantastic summer smile

fanjoforthemammaries Wed 20-Jul-16 13:14:45

Really pleased to read this flowers

PhilPhilConnors Wed 20-Jul-16 13:18:32

So pleased to read this Polter smile
Well done to your boy, and his school sounds fabulous!

MrsFrisbyMouse Wed 20-Jul-16 13:38:27

What a lovey thing to read. Very well done PolterBoy and well done PolterGoose on making it through another school year. And a well done to the school as well for being so supportive - it makes such a difference.

It is very heartening to hear the positives and stories of growing up and moving forwards.

MrsWorryWart Wed 20-Jul-16 14:34:39

I LOVE seeing posts like this. I don't know your back story.

Sounds like a great year! Well done to your DS! 👏🏼👏🏼

PolterGoose Wed 20-Jul-16 15:06:58

Thank you smile

I'm just so glad that the primary school years didn't break him and that now he's less anxious (understatement) he can focus on finding his self. And I can work on those independence skills!

bigmouthstrikesagain Wed 20-Jul-16 15:08:38

That is really positive Polter. It sounds like your ds is blooming with the right support - I know what you mean about it not having to be a huge deal - just a willingness to find a way and a SENCO that listens and takes appropriate action.

I am hoping that my ds will find his life easier now he has an official diagnosis as he has a transition to high school to deal with next year after y8.

Here's to a great y9! smile

NoHaudinMaWheest Wed 20-Jul-16 15:34:33

Polter so pleased to read this and that things are continuing to move forward.
A collaborative, helpful attitude just makes such a difference.

OneInEight Wed 20-Jul-16 16:03:09

Well done that young Polterboy!

KeepOnKeepingOn1 Wed 20-Jul-16 16:38:29

I remember back around 5 years. I am so pleased that he survived primary with his self esteem intact (thanks to you) and that secondary has been a sanctuary in comparison. Whenever I despair (frequently) about secondary for DS2 I think of you both.

PolterGoose Wed 20-Jul-16 16:43:13

I know Keep, it was awful for a long time. I think it's the nature of forums like this that mostly people post when things aren't great, we don't get the balance of when things go well, because of everything is rosy you just plod on with life. I have posted less the better things have got, but I know that back when it was awful what I needed to hear was that it could be better and what actually can be done.

moosemama Wed 20-Jul-16 17:12:42

So pleased to read this news Polter. We don't post the good stuff often enough and it's so important for some people to hear that things can get better and even be good.

I managed to get ds1 to hand over his report yesterday (a week after he broke up) and it was fantastic. I won't go into details here, as it's Polterboy's thread, but just wanted to add my agreement that things can get better for those of our dcs who really struggled through primary school.

PolterGoose Wed 20-Jul-16 17:57:56

I am glad things are better for your ds too moose smile

youarenotkiddingme Wed 20-Jul-16 18:06:08

So pleased for you both. star

You are totally right in that the right school will do whatever and be collaborative with parents.

You know my DS transition has been less than successful. But your words about the right place and what will be done and attitudes has really helped me move on from wanting DS school to step up to leaving them to win their fight and do what's best for DS.

I'm sure your wise words and insights have been just as fundamental in your DS reaching where he is today flowers

PolterGoose Wed 20-Jul-16 18:32:03

Thanks youare and I so hope you can find the right place for your ds.

There are good schools out there, but mostly not the ones with fancy brochures and facilities, and usually not the popular or ofsted favoured schools.

cheminotte Wed 20-Jul-16 20:12:18

Thanks for such a positive thread Polter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now