Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Autistic child will not get hair cut

(21 Posts)
lawson2009 Tue 19-Jul-16 15:40:51

Hi

I have a six year old song who has High Functioning Autism and he will not get his hair cut.

He says he does not like going, he does not like getting his hair sprayed with water, he doesn't like the shears. I have said I will get someone to come to the house but he is adamant.

I caught him cutting his fringe the other day and he admitted it is getting in his eyes but still won't get it cut.

Does any one have any tips or ideas on how I can get him to just get it tidied up.

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Tue 19-Jul-16 15:56:53

We found a special children's salon with DVD players and a sympathetic stylist and went when it was very quiet, this was about age 6, and he was pretty good first time there so we kept going. Sadly it closed after a couple of years so after that we found a friend who would come to the house and do it for a year or so then he graduated to normal salons aged about 9. He has AS, it was the sound of the scissors and pulling sensations he hated.

Aftershock15 Tue 19-Jul-16 16:01:25

Would he let you do it? After a hair wash - so wet hair. Might not be the most stylish cut but would keep it out of his eyes.

hazeyjane Tue 19-Jul-16 16:05:17

Ds (6) is awful, I end up trimming bits off in his sleep.....

LyndaNotLinda Tue 19-Jul-16 16:13:03

I haven't been able to take DS to the barbers since he was 5. I bought some clippers from Argos and do it myself. Our rule is that it gets done every half term/end of term holiday (in the summer, it doesn't get cut until just before school starts).

He's 9 now and my haircutting has improved immensely grin

He still doesn't like it but he sits in the kitchen with a child size poncho (off ebay) and a tablet watching a DVD. The fringe is the worse bit - he usually cries and it's always a bit wonky

DollyMcDolly Tue 19-Jul-16 16:23:09

My son was like this. He started going after I promised him a McDonalds after every visit. Now I just need to think of a similar bribe for his finger and toe nails...

Fairylea Tue 19-Jul-16 16:38:03

My son is 4 and has asd and we just don't take him to be honest! Occasionally I will pin him down and give him a trim myself every 6 months or so but I'm sure the neighbours think I am murdering him and he ends up looking like a Lego man. There is no way I could even contemplate taking him to a hairdressers, he would scream all the way there yet alone actually get in the chair.

Branleuse Tue 19-Jul-16 16:44:00

let him grow it.

OneInEight Tue 19-Jul-16 17:07:41

We use Branleuse approach but ds2 is currently out of school so we dont's have any school rules to conform with. For ds2 though it is social anxiety that is the problem rather than sensory problems alone. Previously to the complete refusal he coped by not having the electric trimmers. He also cut it himself on one occasion to avoid having to go which was interesting to say the least.

Bogburglar99 Tue 19-Jul-16 17:16:17

How would he feel about letting it grow? DS now 10 has always found haircuts immensely difficult. One tactic was to have it cut v short at one visit which then meant it was ages before the next one ...

Also, DS has always come straight home and had a bath after a haircut, to get rid of all the loose hair.

Other than that, find the quietest, kindest most sympathetic hairdresser you can, and do whatever it takes! We had one who was a complete godsend. Interestingly, we recently got DS to go to a posher hairdresser where it was washed first. I thought we would have mayhem but he actually found having wet hair cut an easier sensation. So maybe that's worth a try?

You are not alone! brewcake

zzzzz Tue 19-Jul-16 19:15:00

Do it yourself?

Just get the clippers out every night and leave them on the side. Till boring.

Then get out and turn on every night ....till boring

Then put on head...

You get the idea.grin

Takes about 6 weeks.

hazeyjane Tue 19-Jul-16 19:19:10

Or not!

PolterGoose Tue 19-Jul-16 19:30:57

Decent clippers can work for some kids. Putting googly eyes on our clippers, re-naming them the 'hair nibbler' and timing how long a cut took helped a lot. Like Lynda we aim for every school holiday, it takes exactly 6 minutes grin then he strips and jumps in the bath.

For scissor cutting, best place is while child is in bath to reduce itching. Use proper hairdressing scissors.

Some deep pressure/heavy work beforehand can reduce the sensory stress.

zzzzz Tue 19-Jul-16 19:43:09

At one point Dh used to hold ds in a towel roll and I'd cut what I could before it was too much. So each cut took several days.

For us the desensitising worked (he got older though too). Mine totally panics at scissors though.

PolterGoose Tue 19-Jul-16 20:05:01

Another option to consider is manual hair clippers. I've just ordered some off eBay - as I used to use them back when I was a teen for my undercut - but I lost mine. I'd always wanted another set as they're much gentler than powered clippers.

PunkyBubba Thu 21-Jul-16 19:01:33

Another one here who cuts hair when 4 year old is asleep. It takes at least 5 nights as he starts stirring so I have to stop. I have spent the last few nights trying to cut his fringe straight... Epic fail.. Will be trying again tonight..

Lots of interesting advice though on methods to try when he is a bit older and has more understanding!

LyndaNotLinda Thu 21-Jul-16 19:31:03

Oh yes I do deep pressure first on shoulders. And halfway through.

I might time myself next time but it's probably about 6 minutes.

Our clippers are rechargeable babyliss ones. They cannot be seen by the victim or he freaks but they're much better than scissors!

Shootingstar2289 Sun 24-Jul-16 15:48:19

My son is 5 and has autism. He is petrified of having his hair cut to the point I've nearly given up and occasionally give him his fringe a quick trim myself.

Last time I got our mobile hairdresser to attempt it, I was confident he would be ok. I prepared him for a week with visual timetables, YouTube videos and talking about it constantly. If anything the hair cut was the worst he ever had. He is so familiar with our hairdresser as she's a family friend but that doesn't help.

We have tried bribes, watching the TV or ipad. Nothing works 😞

It takes my husband to hold him on his lap and hold his arms (he loves tight reassuring cuddles) and me to try and hold his legs so he doesn't kick out. He is petrified though, he screams, sweats and trembles while having it done and it's so upsetting for us as well a him.

I've tried to cut it myself but he still goes mad.

He has white blonde hair and we live in Cornwall so the 'surfer' look suits him but he needs a cut before he starts year 1 and I am so nervous.

coffeemachine Sun 24-Jul-16 16:46:03

can you cut it yourself?

DD (8) won't go to hairdresser but let's me cut it. Bob length and a fringe.

would a longer boyish hairstyle you can cut yourself work for DS?

Louiseclairehall1986 Wed 27-Jul-16 18:22:39

Cruel to be kind with my boy was my answer took him every week same time, same man same chair and eventually after a year he now tells his man how he likes his hair cut, all
I did to begin with is sit him in the chair, I also fed him sweets as they did it, certain spots he will not let them near still but is generally good now :-)

sarrah30 Sun 14-Aug-16 12:02:16

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now