Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

sons reception progress, help needed please!

(5 Posts)
Ruby1985 Mon 11-Jul-16 09:24:12

Hello All,

I am writing for some advice in regards to my ASD sons progress. He has finished reception and I have received his report. He has made lots of progress but has only met the National average in maths and ict. I do have to admit I thought he would do better in other areas too.

He does not have an ehcp but is well supported by his teacher as claimed by a speech therapist who went into observe sessions and his teacher is fantastic and he loves school and I know she's doing her utmost best. I want to apply for an ehcp so he could get more support as I have spoken to other mums and all kids have done so much better than him! I know they say progress should only be measured against oneself but I don't believe that, and if not to measure against other kids the national average at least!

A few questions: as he has made quite a bit of progress will be my concerns application be dismissed, even though he is still not achieving the national average standards?
Also I am sure year 1 will be so much harder and the gap will widen?
Do I also have a good case to say he is being well supported at school but it is not enough as he hasn't met the national average?

Many thanks, any advice will be greatly appreciated

Ruby1985 Mon 11-Jul-16 18:39:17

Anyone?? Any advice would be great before I meet with school!

lamya190 Mon 11-Jul-16 19:55:17

Hi there, I would speak to the school and let them know what extra support he is accessing.
They should also show u if and how they are currently supporting him what they expect him to achieve and how. Also I would apply for an ehc plan and not wait for the school!

PolterGoose Mon 11-Jul-16 20:13:46

You can of course apply for an EHCP but it will be tough as he's making good progress and well supported.

Remember that statistically half of kids will be under and half will be over the national average smile

Ruby1985 Mon 11-Jul-16 20:32:53

Thanks for your replies. I understand that but I know with extra support such as one to one he can do so much better he has lots of potential! Also he has not met the average across 85 per cent of the curriculum surely that warrants extra investigation! If it was one or two areas ok.
Also his speech therapist said the gap will get wider and wider between him and his peers and will need extra support to close the gap.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now