Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Don't think it's Dyslexia but possibll memory recall issues - where do I go for testing?

(7 Posts)
RandomMess Fri 08-Jul-16 17:36:24

So DD doesn't have dyscalculia however is really struggling with very basic maths at the age of 13 (can't add 5 + 6 in her head). I'm wondering if it's a memory recall issue.

What sort of testing/where do I go/what do I do sad

Manyshadesofblack Fri 08-Jul-16 17:47:03

A full assessment by an educational psychologist is probably what you need. I recently had my ds assessed.

RandomMess Fri 08-Jul-16 18:12:03

Eek and what is that going to cost me!!!

So difficult to know is she just average and will need to work hard or is there an issue that once identified she could learn techniques to help with.

PolterGoose Fri 08-Jul-16 20:44:16

How is she doing with maths generally?

Do school recognise there's a problem?

RandomMess Fri 08-Jul-16 20:48:28

Just got 10/180 in a test, she is in 2nd top set!!!

I think the school are now accepting that there is an issue with her maths - does ok (with revision) on topics that permit a calculator, performs worse on the more basic stuff that require decent mental arithmetic. My efforts to teach 7 and 8 times table defeated me after 3 weeks!

PolterGoose Fri 08-Jul-16 21:10:10

My ds has some discrepancies in maths too, not as great, and not significant for school to take much notice, but it's like there's something missing. I can't think of any other way to describe it. It just doesn't fit.

I don't think I'd commission an EP yet, if school are any good they can run some basic tests.

RandomMess Fri 08-Jul-16 21:31:28

I just don't think they will though sad

I feel like they don't believe me! This test result is the first time they sort of accept she finds it difficult, a year ago she was in top set - a child who can't add 2 dice together in her head at 13 confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now