Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Dyspraxia

(5 Posts)
SideOrderofChip Tue 05-Jul-16 15:55:25

Hi. Im not sure if im in the right place.

My eldest DD has been referred to the OT as the school say she has gross and fine motor skills problems.

From researching it looks like they suspect Dyspraxia. We should have our appointment through in a couple of weeks (phoned OT today)

Could anyone possibly tell me what to expect from the appointment? DD is 9

Thank you x

LIZS Tue 05-Jul-16 15:57:20

They will take a history from birth, play games and do tasks like copying, writing and puzzles to time.

SideOrderofChip Tue 05-Jul-16 16:28:31

Thank you. DD doesnt know what its for yet as shes prone to getting stressed about any little thing to do with health. So ive told her its about her walking on the side of her feet.

However i may have to soon as her friends are already asking her why she can't catch and why her handwriting is so bad

Dannygirl Mon 11-Jul-16 23:06:07

It's really difficult once they or their friends start to become aware of 'difference' which I have read happens around age 9. I recently decided to tell my son about his dyspraxia because of this reason, but it was like a weight had been lifted from his shoulders once be recognised this was not his 'fault' and was an actual condition. The dyspraxia foundation helpline is a very good source of advice and support and their website have leaflets and books which can support that conversation. I went along the lines of 'some people find things easier/more difficult than others such as xxxx famous people' - I went with Daniel Radcliffe who has dyspraxia but there are a few! Good luck x

sarrah30 Sun 14-Aug-16 12:59:33

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now