Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Problems with maths. ASD related or something else

(6 Posts)
monkeywithacowface Mon 04-Jul-16 14:54:32

DS2 is 8 and has ASD. He attends mainstream and has made huge leaps in his academic progress over the past two years. Whilst still behind his peers in reading he is now on ORT level 8, his handwriting and spelling are coming along well too. His speech was significantly delayed but after 3 years of 1:1 private speech therapy he was signed off a year ago as been within age related range.

He has a great memory for facts and does enjoy learning but he is still significantly behind in maths (still on P Scales in old level terms). We do RM easimaths at home and it has hi lighted just how much he doesn't understand the basic concepts e.g he can understand the question 5 add 5 but will need to use fingers and has to count from 1 to five first and then count on five more but if he gets asked the question 5 and 5 more equals? Then he's has no idea what to do next.

I don't know how best to help him as it seems to be something that just practice isn't helping (He can say all his timetables but that's just rote learning so not surprised)

He's doing so well now in all other areas I wondering if the maths problem is ASD related or can it be because of something else? Dyscalculia?

holeinmyheart Mon 04-Jul-16 15:01:58

Well, there are lots of really fun sites to help with Maths. Your DS may well have a problem but motivation is crucial to learning.
'Maths is fun' may be worth subscribing to. It details all the possible concepts. It has badges and sounds etc. It will give you a weekly report and uses reinforcement etc. It is very child friendly.
'The Khan Academy' is a free Maths learning online resource. I think it is really great. As a parent you set yourself up as the tutor. It has step by step videos. It sends a report to you, regarding the time that your DS has completed etc. Excellent.

zzzzz Mon 04-Jul-16 15:07:06

If you have an iPad

hyperiongames.uk.com maths apps
And
Montessorium's intro to numbers are invaluable

Life changing tech. My son is now 11 and autistic and severely language disordered and we found thorn a real boost.

zzzzz Mon 04-Jul-16 15:08:00

I would avoid games that are too buzzy and stimmy.

monkeywithacowface Mon 04-Jul-16 15:09:09

Thank you very much I will take a look at these ideas. He has an ipad and is always willing to do the RMeasimaths each night but something different might be needed I think.

zzzzz Mon 04-Jul-16 16:11:51

The montessorium one will look too easy. It is very good a reinforcing, very basic size, order, etc ideas and importantly it is practically language free.
The other Hyperion one is (very) closely linked to the national curriculum (that no longer exists confused ) but it will take him methodically from reception to Y3 teaching the vocabulary and concepts very precisely. For my child (autism/severe language disorder) it is unbeatable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now