Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

How to tell DD she has ASD?

(8 Posts)
wonderpants Sat 02-Jul-16 19:17:10

We have just had an ADOS assessment and are expecting a diagnosis of Autism for DD aged 10. She is high functioning and aware she is a bit different from her friends, but doesn't know that she has had an assessment for autism. She is aware of autism as there are children in her school (and class) with more obvious difficulties. We believe she is very good at masking by mimicking.
I like the BBC Rosie clip, and Rosie reminds me of DD in some ways. But I wonder if she will not identify as she doesn't feel words and will switch off that isn't like her?
I also worry that it has statistics for bullying, and I don't want her feeling that she will be bullied.

Can you recommend any resources/ books/ places to go for her?

Thanks

Melawati Sat 02-Jul-16 19:54:32

Try the girl with the curly hair - there is a Facebook page and a website. She has some good materials for your DD's age. My DD finds it very hard to generalise and so it's difficult for her to relate to any description of ASD that doesn't exactly correspond to her experience of it. So the Rosie video, although a great resource, isn't that helpful for her. But the curly hair comic books have lots of different examples to pick and choose from. I let DD go through one with a pad of post its, marking the ones she could relate to. It was helpful for me and school too.

wonderpants Sat 02-Jul-16 20:21:48

Brilliant, thank you I will have a look!
Although she has poker straight hair in a family of curlies grin
Thank you for answering!

imip Sat 02-Jul-16 21:02:44

'Aspie girl' has been a good book for dd 8 in 3 days! I don't think she was previously aware of a difference, but she can now identify differences and it gives her a 'reason' for perceived 'differences'.

She was a little too young for curly hair and she doesn't click with Rosie, but we talk about it a lot and it's taken about 4 months to accept her diagnosis.

wonderpants Sat 02-Jul-16 21:20:58

Lovely, thank you, I will look at that too.

Ineedmorepatience Sun 03-Jul-16 11:02:44

My Dd3 is 13, she was diagnosed with Asd at 9 and I told her when she was 10! Recently she started writing about her experiences and was able to write that she had felt different and didnt understand why! She wrote that knowing she has Asd is a good thing for her because it stops her wondering why she is different!

Obviously all children are different but I wanted to share that with you mainly because Dd3 had never been able to tell us how she was feeling verbally!

Good luck 💐

wonderpants Sun 03-Jul-16 16:30:10

That is lovely, and that is why we have decided to pursue assessment, despite her not having behavioural or learning difficulties. I hope it will help her understand why her friendships aren't always reciprocated or she prefers being on her own when she really wants to play but the social interaction is too complicated.
I want diagnosis to feel a positive thing, but I'm struggling to know how and what to say!

shazzarooney999 Sun 03-Jul-16 20:42:41

My son was with me when the peadatrician said he was autistic, so when we left I asked him if he understood what the pead was saying, and then i explained to him xxx Also the Ados does not always tell you a child is high functioning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now