Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Sensory/anxious behaviour and ASD?

(6 Posts)
Blossom4538 Wed 15-Jun-16 11:36:46

Hi there! So I post on here occasionally. Basically, our little girl age 5 has anxiety, selective mutism and possible (likely) sensory struggles.

So, I popped into school with my little one yesterday for a special half hour where we get to lookt at their work. The usual behaviour surfaced...she was a good girl but couldn't focus on anything I said and was looking around the room. V quiet but said a few words to me. She urgently had to remove cardigan, shoes, tried to remove socks but I managed to get her to keep those on and she again had the urge to take her ponytail down. This often occurs when I pop into school with her. She didn't interact with friends or teachers. She kept on sniffing her foot when we were sat looking at her work and rubbed her foot against her cheek repeatedly, so much so that by the end her cheek was really red. The other day when i popped in with her, she would not stop licking me!! Anyone else's little ones behave like this?! She was the same when I would pop into pre-school or when we would bump into preschool key worker!! I am lead to believe it is anxious and sensory behaviour?!

Do any of your little ones behave like this? She is being assessed for ASD later this year. I guess she struggles most in social situations, not so much at home. She does have extreme emotions and is quite dominating at home. Anxious, particularly noise related.

zzzzz Wed 15-Jun-16 16:05:21

Could you try giving her a carrot/Apple/lollypop to put in her mouth and some rubber-bands/ribbons/silly putty to hold? You might be surprised at how well she copes with something to fiddle with.smile

Blossom4538 Wed 15-Jun-16 20:09:57

Yes, she does like to play with things like that. Perhaps some putty or something squidgy!

SisterViktorine Wed 15-Jun-16 20:59:36

She might like some chewlery or a rubber pendant. There are some really nice ones available.

youarenotkiddingme Thu 16-Jun-16 06:58:21

I agree fiddle toys may help. The rubber balls with the bobbly edges are 3 for £1 in poundland ATM.

sarrah30 Sun 14-Aug-16 13:36:49

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now