Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

best ways to minimise or keep 7yo dd safe when having a frenzy / meltdown

(5 Posts)
megletthesecond Thu 09-Jun-16 14:12:00

I'm doing better at spotting her triggers and calmly preventing some of her meltdowns but there are still weekly house smashing frenzies. Anything from 20 min to well over an hour (i find it hard to keep track tbh).

I'm strong and fast so can usually stop dd doing too much damage to herself, her big brother or the house but it's getting harder. I can no longer just hold her and soothe her but how can I keep her safe? If she's in her room she trashes it, I've had to lock her window because she was going to climb out and the neighbours don't like her bashing around in her room.

At work today feeling wretched but terrified to see the gp or paed again because they were so critical of me (working lp with ASD) two years ago. Apparently she was fine and I just have to be stricter quelle fucking surprise it doesn't work.

Hope that's typed out ok, phone is a pita and tbh I'm feeling shattered. Back later.

PolterGoose Thu 09-Jun-16 15:57:12

Can you find a way to make the lounge meltdown proof? Put telly, electronics behind doors in a big unit perhaps? I think once it's reached that stage it's just about keeping her safe and riding it out.

Could you move her to another bedroom? Make it a sensory calming haven for her?

megletthesecond Thu 09-Jun-16 16:21:42

Thanks polter. The lounge is fairly robust. No nick nacks and we currently have a tiny second hand tv after she broke the last three normal ones. So maybe lounge and hudl when she's settled a tad are going to be the way forward.

I was toying with using a small beach tent as a cosy space for her actually. Am in town now so I'll see what there is.

PolterGoose Thu 09-Jun-16 16:24:08

That might not be a bad idea. As long as it's a lovely space and not a punishment. Fill it with cushions, throws, soft toys and fidgets.

shazzarooney999 Thu 09-Jun-16 21:06:35

Just to say i bought my son a sensory pod for when he was like this, bought the lights, cushions, a box with different materials in it and yet hes rarely used it, we have ended up putting it in the back garden because it took up half his bedroom, so whatever you do dont spend to much. xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now