Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

How bad is this?

(18 Posts)
RageyRagerson Thu 02-Jun-16 17:59:09

I am a very regular MN poster but have changed name here as I don't want school to see my usual posting name.

Just been to parents meeting. Have got a bit of history with child's PE teacher, she basically said in report that child is lazy and they just leave child to it until they get fed up and join in. Child has severe autism and isn't lazy so I objected to this wording, she didn't take it too well.

Just had parents meeting where I saw her for first time since this incident, and she apologised for upsetting me, although later she said my child was lazy again, in not so many words (child is non verbal with severe ASD and various issues).

Anyway she then said this, which made my jaw drop. Dh wants to complain but i am not seeing it will achieve anything. Just wondered how people would feel if a teacher said this about their child.

She said "we were all discussing what your DC WOULD HAVE been, and we decided ..something in the arts not physical"

Same teacher also once said to us "how do you entertain THEM at the weekend".

This is a school for kids with severe LDs and autism.

I am feeling like I wish she was fired but she won't be, she has been there forever.

But am I being overprotective?

Just would like to know how bad people think this is and how they would feel if a teacher said it about their child.

Before I go and ask for her head on a plate.

Thanks for any opinions smile

PolterGoose Thu 02-Jun-16 18:30:14

I'm guessing you're not in England?

Doesn't sound good sad

RageyRagerson Thu 02-Jun-16 18:34:04

No not in England.

Not good is my gut feeling too sad

RageyRagerson Thu 02-Jun-16 18:34:26

Am in Scotland.

PolterGoose Thu 02-Jun-16 18:51:00

How old is your child? Can s/he communicate their needs at all?

I think the 'lazy' comment raises the biggest flags for me, it suggests a complete lack of understanding and is very worrying.

RageyRagerson Thu 02-Jun-16 18:54:53

Child is 9. Can only communicate needs through vocalisation and a few PECS cards.

Yes, the lack of understanding worries me a lot. This teacher is very experienced too, has been there for years.

PolterGoose Thu 02-Jun-16 20:05:44

I don't know why my post has been deleted confused

I think you need to at least write and ask for clarification.

Does your child have clear goals/targets?

RageyRagerson Thu 02-Jun-16 20:11:06

I think there has been a bit of a mix up there.

We have some targets, but they are quite woolly and vague.

PolterGoose Thu 02-Jun-16 20:23:17

It's back smile

I don't really know how the SEN system works in Scotland, but it does sound like some sort of review and tightening up of provision is needed.

RageyRagerson Thu 02-Jun-16 20:55:57

Yes..I know it's hard getting statements but I sometimes feel they would be useful here..here you get into a school and then provision can vary.

youarenotkiddingme Thu 02-Jun-16 22:16:09

I'd also question what they mean by lazy. I'd ask specifically what they are doing yo adress the motivation and inclusion in PE.

Then I'd ask as they identified your DC has a gift in the arts what specifically they are doing to develop this skill further.

RageyRagerson Fri 03-Jun-16 07:18:53

I attempted to address the lazy thing yesterday by saying it was much more complex.

Not sure it went in though.

Good idea to say that about the arts. I didn't see the bitchiness in comment at time and just said yes she is very musical. sad

zzzzz Fri 03-Jun-16 20:26:57

I think you can expect SO much more for your child but I also have little experience of the Scotish System. The only direct contact I have had with a SENCO equivalent there was shocking.

My child can speak but has a very severe language disorder. I would be livid if someone was seeing him and his behaviour through the eyes of "lazy" and "would have been". My child has enough difficulties without surrounding him with ignorance.

I'm so sorry. I'd move to be honest but I've lived through poor provision and he won't be doing that again.angry

RageyRagerson Fri 03-Jun-16 22:00:46

I totally agree with you.

I'd love so much more for my child. Am thinking if starting the next year in August but seeking to move. The teacher also apologised she hadn't achieved much with my child as the other children in her class were challenging..but at least my child stayed happy. I want more for her than that.

RageyRagerson Fri 03-Jun-16 22:01:16

I appreciate your honesty flowers

zzzzz Fri 03-Jun-16 22:16:28

I think my view has been massively changed by our present school who I feel do their very best for ds. He has flourished. It hasn't all been plain sailing but the underlying feeling is that he is valued at school, his team of TAs and his teacher do their very best and, it, shows.

The people are what matter. What they think about disability and what they do to support you and dc. We move at the end of term and I am so sad to be leaving them.

zzzzz Fri 03-Jun-16 22:17:09

I should have said this is a ms primary though ds is an easy in to SS.

RageyRagerson Fri 03-Jun-16 22:17:24

I agree. We had a really good temporary teacher for DD from another school here. She brought DD on more in a month than current school have in years..makes you think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now