Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

'training'

(9 Posts)
Cardboardstuff Thu 02-Jun-16 13:35:29

The senco at my DS's (AS) mainstream secondary has mentioned a few times about how autistic children can be 'trained' to develop certain skills, etc. I found it a really strange choice of verb, slightly offensive. Am I being ridiculous? Don't know why it has niggled me so much. I really DO have bigger fish to fry... smile

zzzzz Thu 02-Jun-16 14:30:02

It would piss me off too. Just say so though. It doesn't have to be antagonistic and she doesn't have to agree with you. I'd probably say "well yes of course autistic children can learn, I would shy away from calling teaching "training" though, because I find what helps ds most is making sure people see he is human just like them and training makes me think of dogs."

Runningtokeepstill Thu 02-Jun-16 14:40:06

For me it is the way in which someone says things rather than the actual words that worry me.

I think "trained" can be used in all kinds of ways. I have had jobs where it was either essential or highly desirable to say that I had been trained in various skills or procedures. Courses for prospective teachers are called teacher training. It would be common in schools to say something like "3 of the 4 teaching assistants in school have been trained to work with children on the autistic spectrum".

I wouldn't see the use of the word "trained" by someone working in education as being particularly offensive in itself. However, I might be offended by any comment that , looking inoffensive on paper, had an unhelpful attitude behind it. For example "we're very concerned about you" coming from an employer might mean "we think you're a liability and we want you out" or it could be an expression of genuine concern expressed as a desire to improve or help the situation. Is there something about the SENCO that is twanging your radar? If not, then I wouldn't worry.

Cardboardstuff Thu 02-Jun-16 14:42:52

Thanks both. Yes, running, there is a lot that is 'twanging my radar' grinwhen it comes to this senco. I LOVE this phrase and will steal it!

youarenotkiddingme Thu 02-Jun-16 14:45:34

Yes trained seems a harsh word to use but she probably just had her education head on.

I'd ask her what she meant by trained? Why use that word. My DS salt has stated he can and does learn rote phrases and responses and this would be useful to incorporate within curriculum as a way for him to communicate.

I guess you could describe rote learning responses as training! (So I guess it's the word more than the actual action?)

Does the senco raise your spidey senses in any other way?

youarenotkiddingme Thu 02-Jun-16 14:46:27

X posts!

zzzzz Thu 02-Jun-16 15:14:48

What would be irritating me about "autistic children can be 'trained' to develop certain skills" is that it implies that at some point she or people around her believed that autistic people COULDN'T learn and I do think that by not using "taught" she is implying something different to the "training" she thinks will push development in the rest of the population. I really disagree with running, words really matter. They carry baggage and implied meaning. They also tell you a lot about someone's attitude and the attitudes of the people they generally talk to.

PolterGoose Thu 02-Jun-16 15:26:49

The problem for me with using the term 'training' in the context of autistic children is that it is usually used to mean 'training to appear be less autistic'.

Teaching skills and supporting development are much more positive concepts.

Runningtokeepstill Thu 02-Jun-16 16:07:24

zzzzz, perhaps I worded it badly! I don't think language is unimportant.

What I meant was that sometimes people don't use the best words but it is clear that their intention is positive, whereas others may use all the correct terms and it's obvious they are not at all supportive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now