Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

DS excluded from sports day. For verbal stim!!

(4 Posts)
frazzledmumma Sat 28-May-16 01:32:01

Hey newbie here long time lurker. Need some advice on how to handle this. DS (4, ASD, poss ADHD, mixed array of sensory issues and hyperacusis) is in school nursery 3 hours each day for last year. He returned to nursery on Tuesday after chicken pox. I failed to realised their sports day had been re-scheduled to Thursday, though it happened while he was ill, didnt prep for it like we usually would. Anyway nursery didnt say anything so I assumed all was fine and turned up to watch. All the other kids came out except DS. 5 minutes later teacher runs over, ashen faced and tells me DS has 'had a bad day, and is inside doing 'work time' with a TA. Asked her to clarify 'bad day' and she said 'he's been spelling all his words'. Which is his current stim. When he's happy and excited. Broke my heart to collect him from an empty classroom for doing nothing wrong hut be himself.

Sorry long post. My question is how do i confront nursery and make them aware that this is not acceptable and not inclusive, without damaging relations? I'm well aware that they have broken the law here. They have excluded him for no other reason than his ASD. I'm trying really hard to keep things on a positive note and i've deliberately given myself the weekend to calm down but they need to know that this will not be tolerated.

Thanks if you got to the end!

zzzzz Sat 28-May-16 07:54:15

Meeting first thing after half term. Request documentation on the exclusion and explain where they are going wrong. Allow them to rethink and fix it.

Ineedmorepatience Sat 28-May-16 08:49:02

What zzzzz said. If this is the first time something like this has happened you need to give them chance to sort it and ensure it never happens again.

Be kind to yourself flowers

TwoLeftSocks Sat 28-May-16 08:55:58

Would it help to email them with some clear points and request a meeting? That way they can respond during the meeting and hopefully it would make it more constructive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now