Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

What does an Ed Pysch do??

(11 Posts)
1805 Tue 24-May-16 23:22:07

just that really. How will they be able to help?? I have a meeting tomorrow morning at school (DD Y6 - ASD).

zzzzz Tue 24-May-16 23:28:35

They are trained to watch your child in an educational setting and then work out how to differentiate/what support they need to access their education

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Tue 24-May-16 23:36:28

Zzzzz got in with the proper answer. Cos I was going to say 'bloody nothing' which wouldn't have been helpful.

In our LA the EP observes the child, gives some support to the teacher and signposts for other agencies. They are usually the person who has the power to say 'something isn't right' in the educational setting. They can't diagnose in my LA - I have heard other MNers say different but I'm not sure how accurate that is.

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Tue 24-May-16 23:37:34

They also normally carry out tests with the child in order to determine specific strengths and weaknesses and the extent of these. They should just seem like fun to the child. Part of the assessment is listening to the parents views of what the difficulties are, also the child's developmental history, I guess that's what the meeting is for.

1805 Tue 24-May-16 23:37:42

school keep on saying she does well in school and meets or surpasses national targets. According to them (and myself) she doesn't need help academically.
Is this something ASD kids as a matter of course? I haven't requested this, school have arranged it.

1805 Tue 24-May-16 23:40:41

Thanks whoKnows..
That makes sense I guess. I don't mind doing this by the way, all info is helpful info when it comes to trying to understand an asd child!

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Tue 24-May-16 23:54:15

Maybe it's to help with the transition to secondary school?

BackforGood Wed 25-May-16 00:04:21

Does she already have a Statement or an EHC Plan?
In our LA, that's what EPs spend the vast majority of their time doing - assessments and reports for EHC assessment requests.

In theory, then the first reply is the answer, but they don't actually get time for much advice due to capacity.

1805 Wed 25-May-16 00:45:42

she does not have a statement or an EHC plan. At school she needs very little help, and achieves well.
But if the E P can get us behavioural help at home, then that would be great.

imip Wed 25-May-16 06:21:54

My dd probably presents like your dd. fine at school, achieving academic targets. Nightmare at home! Violent, demand avoidant, OCD like behaviour. I don't really rate our ed psych, however, his focus is on how dd is socially. Trying to 'measure' her anxiety at school and how that impacts at home. It's working v slowly, but cahms also are working with us. I think they intend in applying for a few hours of TA time for social issues through an echp, but cynical me things that is because school is losing 3 tas this year that won't be replaced.

Anyway as dd meets her academic targets, they are not focused on her education, just the social side/her anxiety levels.

sarrah30 Sun 14-Aug-16 13:56:05

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now