Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Cerebral Palsy and walking frame

(2 Posts)
TakeItFromMe Wed 04-May-16 15:38:50

My DD is nearly 3, and has CP and CVI.

She's had a walking frame (on wheels, with her strapped in) for a few months now and it's incredibly slow progress. But what she is doing is not so much 'walking' as 'making the frame move by dragging her feet around on tip-toes'. I know it's relatively early days for her, but she seems to be much more in a walking position when we are holding her upright by her hands and encouraging her to step.

I can't help thinking the walking frame is hindering her rather than helping her, by teaching her to walk 'incorrectly'. I know nobody can tell me if she will eventually 'get it' or not, but I wondered if anyone else had similar experience of walking frames? Thanks.

Summerdaydreams1 Wed 04-May-16 21:57:52

My dd is 4 and got a Kaye walker at 3yrs old. It was only introduced as she was starting nursery and her having independence was more of a priority. Her Physio purposefully held off because she wanted to give her as much time to develop a better pattern of movement. Physio said that unfortunately kids will be kids and will always adapt a style that is easiest for them.
Its a tough call between independence versus pattern.
DD walks okay in hers. She has improved lots but given the chance (especially when she is in a rush) she walks more on her toes and doesn't pick her feet up which mean she scuffs her shoes terribly. under instruction and at a slower pace she has a much better pattern of movement.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now