Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Possible autism in almost two year old

(9 Posts)
FlysInDreams Wed 27-Apr-16 15:21:10

I have non-id DTDs who will turn two in June.  I have been worried for a while about DTD2's development and suspect that she may be autistic.  

She had a development check at 18 months and was referred following that, and had that check a couple of weeks ago at 22 months.  The doctor agreed that autism was definitely a possibility, but wanted to see her again in about six months to see if she is just a late developer.

Physically she was not far behind her sister (she walked at 13 months).  However, she still doesn't use any words, doesn't seem to understand or react when spoken to, even her name.  She doesn't point, dislikes eye contact and flaps her hands and dances on the spot when excited. 

Her eating is generally ok, if a bit messy (she puts her spoon in her mouth upside down) and she sleeps ok, though often refuses to nap during the day.  She loves things that move or flash and noisy toys, switching things off and on and repetitive things like opening and closing doors, throwing a ball into a basket or fiddling with wheels.

I have read other posts which definitely sound similar but I'd just like to hear from other parents with similar children, especially if they're a bit older.  

FlysInDreams Wed 27-Apr-16 17:40:51

Just to add, I'm taking her to a speech drop in clinic next week

DimpleHands Wed 27-Apr-16 20:35:45

Hello

My DS is autistic and we got a diagnosis at 18 months. Your DD sounds very similar to him at that age - no words, complete lack of understanding, not responding to name, no pointing, poor eye contact, repetitive behaviour (opening and closing doors ad nauseum while making an "errrrr, errrr, errrrr" noise, running toy cars backwards and forwards over and over, etc.). He has always eaten and slept really well and has never really had any unusual behavioural issues - while some autistic children do have problems in those areas, many don't.

Have you tried doing the M-CHAT test online?

Every autistic child is different. There is a saying that "If you have met one autistic child, you have met one autistic child". But for what it's worth, my DS is now 3.5 and is an absolute delight. His speech (receptive and expressive) is delayed but we can have very basic mini conversations, he is the funniest child I have ever met and has the best sense of humour ever, loves numbers and counting, is very affectionate, is very happy and loves nursery and is really well-liked there by staff and other children and is generally a joy to have around (most of the time smile !)

So come what may, please don't be down-hearted. Feel free to message me if you have any questions. This stage is incredibly hard to go through, I know.

Shootingstar2289 Wed 27-Apr-16 20:52:36

There are no autistic children the same. she sames a bit like my five year old at that age. Delays were picked up at his two year and is yet to be diagnosed. Speech delay, lack of eye contact, fixations on pressing buttons, lights, anything that works!! And no sense of danger.

One word of advice. Push for professional advice and help asap. I kept being shrubbed off and told my son was just a bit delayed, would catch up. His nursery said he had issues with his behaviour but nothing drastic. He started a new pre-school where the manager herself had an autistic son who picked up on the red flags.

My son is an absolute darling now. He is still delayed with speech, development, academics etc but he is doing so incredibly well and developing at his own pace.

FlysInDreams Wed 27-Apr-16 21:55:37

Thank you both for your replies.

I realise that my DD could be completely different from either of yours, but it is encouraging to hear anyway. I have gone through the M-CHAT and it does suggest that she should be checked for autism.

DimpleHands Wed 27-Apr-16 22:08:03

Best of luck. I agree that you need to push, push, push to see a developmental paediatrician - don't allow yourself to be fobbed off with a "wait and see" approach! If she does have autism, early intervention is key.

In the meantime, I would try looking at books like "Playing, Laughing and Learning with Children on the Autism Spectrum" or "More than Words" by Hanen. Or a website like teachmetotalk. They'll give you really good ideas to help your DD.

FlysInDreams Thu 28-Apr-16 06:56:35

Thank you Dimple, I'll have a look at them.

FlysInDreams Sat 07-May-16 08:27:46

Well, we've now seen a speech and language therapist who has given us some advice on trying to get her to respond, and put us in the waiting list for the More than Words course.

FlysInDreams Tue 15-Nov-16 12:29:47

Apparently, the paediatrician was a locum and no longer there, I should have heard from the Early Years Team, but haven't, and I'm still on the waiting list. Wonder if anything will happen this year?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now